LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default New NV Tech or Hollywood SFX ???

I was watching the movie Sicario on DVD and there is a night raid on a smugglers' tunnel. The FBI twosome wear 'conventional' NVG, the "Starlight" style light amplification devices (green/white) while the Delta troops wear something the character called 'thermal imaging' (grays).

My very slight use of a Starlight scope in ITR was 48 years ago; I haven't kept up with the technology. Does any newer member have experience with this 'thermal imaging'???

It could very well be special effects, like the alien's NVG aids in Predator 2, but I am curious. Is this the 'new' night vision technology???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sic_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	70931  

Name:	sic_2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	70932  

Name:	sic_3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	70933  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Not terribly new, but now the standard in NV for US Troops. Regular "Night Vision" amplifies ambient light, so it will not work in really low light conditions without an IR, (Infra Red), illuminator. Infra Red is used since it cannot be seen by the human eye, but can be spotted via other means. Thermal imaging detects very slight changes in heat signatures to produce an image. By going grey, instead of the usual rainbow detection pattern, image clarity is greatly enhanced. Thermal can see through fog, smoke and thin obstacles, while night vision cannot. Thermal also does not require an illuminator, which can easily be traced back to the user. I have fired weapons with the latest Thermal imaging on them and the clarity and definition is quite impressive.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 02-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Our local police helicopter unit relies on thermal imaging devices to locate perps. from the air (usually at night). I suspect that most cruisers have them too as the prices have come down appreciably. As far as I know, it's the "latest and greatest" technology of its kind.
I'm not clear on how rocks and mud effects their function, or how long deceased (cold) a body must become before they lack a thermal image.
But regardless, the technology has come a long way from the old infrared or early starlight days.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It seems really cool stuff and I would buy the latest Trijicon thermal imaging sight for my AR-15...If I only had a use for it...

I no longer hunt, don't raise crops, fight fires, or chase drug smugglers...Which is why I never bought a NVG/image intensifier. I did shoot a laser-equipped Uzi one time back in the '80's, but again, no use...

I've had binoculars on my 'want' list for a couple years, but again...What would I use them for???

I could see myself driving around at night with my headlights off and viewing through thermal imaging goggles...It seems to me to be a better option than the limited cone-of-vision headlights that all automobiles are equipped with. I don't think Officer Fife would agree though...
Unread 02-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Those images look like monochrome versions of what you see with a FLIR thermal imaging device, except the FLIR is in full color.

http://www.flir.com/home/

The equipment repair tech at our TV network had one of these so he could see components on PC boards that were overheating.

It's got the advantage of being passive - you don't irradiate IR light from the device as in those imaging systems.

Looking at their website, I see that they have introduced an add on thermal camera for use with SmartPhones. $400 for the better version...
Unread 02-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

We are all, to one degree or another, reluctant to embrace the latest technology. However I have been dabbling with reflex optics on handguns and battle-rifles and am amazed at how good they can make the average shooter shoot...
dju
Unread 02-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
However I have been dabbling with reflex optics on handguns and battle-rifles and am amazed at how good they can make the average shooter shoot...
dju
I have had two 'red dot' optics for my AR. The present one is a 'Spitfire' 1x SPR-1301 prism scope that Midway had on sale some time back. It's not quite as useful as the 3x that I gave to my nephew, but it is adequate for old eyes. Eliminates the lining up F&R sights, just put the red dot on the target and shoot.

The 'Spitfire' is a cheap Chinese knockoff; I'd buy the ACOG if I had something real to shoot at...
Unread 02-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Our local police helicopter unit relies on thermal imaging devices to locate perps.
The 'police' hereabouts use bottom mounted 'big bulge' thermal imaging devices on their low & slow aircraft to locate marijuana fields on state and federal lands. It seems that marijuana gives off a higher heat signature than the native vegetation. I knew what they used it for, but I didn't know what type they were or how they worked. Reading the descriptions after Googling 'thermal imaging' made me realize what the overflights were looking for...
Unread 02-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

An interesting aside is that a lot of marijuana grow operations are busted by the utilities company. They recognize the increased electricity demand and notify the authorities.
dju