LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 10-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Puretexan
User

Default Decent Ammo

I look and see Sticky posts for everything, but really none on which cheap ammo is really good. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and all these gun collections are never fired. Maybe you pull your favorite one out on a cold winters night and rub some Baristol on it , then put it back in the collection. Heck I doubt if the guy that has a collection of knives, decided to see if his perfect antique bowie knife will chop through a wooden log.
Anyway whoever shoots could log what ammo really is decent and what is crap, before anybody gets stuck with
a 1000 rounds of sub par stuff. I never shot Magtech and had to order four boxes to test , before making a major outlay. I read where Sellier and Bellot was bought out by Magtech and the quality had dropped off some. I bought quite a bit of the brass CCI Blaser and had good luck with it , other than it has lots of spots on the brass. They said it was some fluid they used in loading and wouldn't hurt your firearm.
So maybe those that shoot could post what ammo was cheap and works really well when they find some.

Paul
Puretexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Robert in NC
User

My Luger is 7.65, not 9mm, but in my other guns, including those that are 9mm, it depends on the individual gun. Some ammo that works for other people in the same model gun doesn't work for me, and vice versa.

For 7.65 (30 Luger) you only have 2 choices of ammo really, Fiocchi or PPU. Only PPU works in my alphabet commercial, but some others find Fiocchi works for them.

A bigger question is do you really want to shoot the cheapest ammo you can find in a $1000+ gun?
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

9mm standard velocity Winchester 115gn and 124gn ammo is a good consistent product. Don't buy the NATO power version for use in Lugers, just the standard velocity stuff.

It's a fair bet that they load it with Winchester primers and Winchester 231 powder, which is a good consistent low smoke pistol powder that I use in reloading. Same thing as HP38 powder sold under the Hodgden brand name.

I have also used S&B 9mm ammo, which was good quality.

Dynamit Nobel (GeCo) 9mm is also good consistent ammo. I have several boxes and have never had problems with it. It's Swiss made, and the Swiss are particular about precision.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Puretexan
User

Really your collecting Lugers, and you don't have any cheap rubber pistols to play
with? Heck I am not a serious collector....well really not any kind of collectors. and I have 1911's, Ar15's and lots of other pistols I shoot all the time. Knowing what works well would benefit not stumping my toe on bulk ammo purchases.
Unread 10-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puretexan View Post
Knowing what works well would benefit not stumping my toe on bulk ammo purchases.
What production ammunition works well in other members Lugers may not work well in yours. It's a trial & error process. Same with reloading.

I see lots of threads detailing both production & reloaded ammunition here, both 7.65 and 9mm. There're production tables from several manuals posted here as well. Kick back, tip up a jar of home distilled, and browse some of them. I do that every month or so.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
mccaslyn
User

I have personally used winchester white box. Perfecta. Federal. Remmington. And ammo i buy from lax ammo in bulk and all have ran flawless. The only one i would not use agian is perfecta as i felt it Was a tad to hot. As far as price to quality the lax by far has been the best 190$ for 1000 rds. My second vote is the federal they have at walmart right now 9.50$ a box. One thing i will note is wwb was by far the most accurate
mccaslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The factory ammo that I have had good luck with in all of my 9mm weapons, including Lugers, is PMC 115gr FMJ. Federal 9mm 115gr FMJ, and WWB 115gr FMJ worked good also. I have not had good luck with the Remington brand of 9mm(lower priced) so I don't purchase it. Others have reported no problems with this ammo.

I am a handloader, so I can tailor my 9mm ammo to function well in my Lugers......same is true for my 7.65P ammo.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Puretexan
User

Brownells ran 8 boxes of 9mm Magtech on cheap with free shipping. It is really
nice stuff. No problems at all. I did try that PMC bronze in 223 and it was deadly
accurate and was cheap. I watch that Gun.deals all the time and they usually have
an ammo deal somewhere every day.