LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-15-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
Fast Ed
User

Post Newbie problems with P08

I'm new to Lugers and to this forum and hope someone can tell me what I did wrong.
Two weeks ago I took my 1938 S42 to the range and successfully ran a box of 9mm through it. Prior to this outing it had not been shot in 10 years. Everything went well.
When I got home I felt guilty for shooting it without prior cleaning and oiling, so I did so. I cleaned it good with Hoppe's solvent on the toggle, bore and slides. I cleaned every crevice I could get at. When I dried it up, I lubed it with Wilson's Ultamalube, which is the best lube on the market.(I use it on my Kimber .45)It functioned like the slides were made of glass!
Yesterday I took it to the range and the toggle will not open fully. The toggle opens 1/8" and binds. There is no way you can pull this open.
Before I did anything I thought I would gey your opinions as to what I did wrong in cleaning and lubing and or reassembling. Help!
Fast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 12:49 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Fast Ed,

It sounds like you have decocked--dry-fired--the gun after reassembly, and then put the safety on. A Luger action will not operate in this condition, in exactly the manner you describe.

Look at the left side of the gun. If you can see the stamped "Gesichert" above the safety lever, move the lever to cover it and try again. Chances are it will work fine.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 12:53 PM   #3
Fast Ed
User

Dwight, As I said I am a rookie. Yes that is exactly what I did. All works fine now. I was too embarrased at the range to see the obvious.
Thanks,
Fast Ed
Fast Ed is offline   Reply With Quote