LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-26-2001, 09:33 PM   #1
Ted
User

Default No Joy-Forum

I have been having a real wierd unexplaniable occurance with my PC. When I try to log onto www.Lugerforum.com It loads the main page and just as it finishes, I get a fatal error message then AOL (my internet provider) ends and I am back to my window prompt. I can access the forum "through the back door" with an URL that John Dunkle gave me and it works everytime. Unfortunately, I cant access the rest of the website, just the message board. This has beening going on both Sunday and again Today Monday. I NEVER get through, not even once. I am scratching my head! You computer guys got any clues? Only happens on the forum, no other site on the web makes this happen! Is something trying to tell me something? This is crazy! Ted

Unread 03-26-2001, 09:58 PM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Ted...

Tomorrow - if you e-mail me to remind me, we'll try a little experiment to try to figure what is causing the problem for you.. In short - I'll *copy* all the code from the current site backup onto another server with it's own unique IP address. Then if that crashes - I'll pull pages off THAT server until it loads correctly. That should tell us if it's your AOL install or a corrupt cache or a specific page your AOL install doesn't like, OK???..

Best,

John D.

Unread 03-26-2001, 10:45 PM   #3
Ted
User

Default Re: Hi Ted...

Thanks John, probably need to do it tomorrow evening as I hope to be at work tomorrow. Ted

Unread 03-27-2001, 12:11 PM   #4
Walt J.
User

Default Re: No Joy-Forum

Ted,

Easy and cheap solution considering howÃ?Â*much time you spend on the Forum.

Blow 150 bucks on a cheap Web TVÃ?Â*outfit. Run it through your TV set and then just sit back comfortably on the couch insteadÃ?Â*of hunchedÃ?Â*over yourÃ?Â*computer. I know it's as perimitive as a chalk boardÃ?Â*comparedÃ?Â*with modern computers, but for internet work, it's a jewel, and it's so lowÃ?Â*tech, a virus can't touch it. Just keep it on the forum and think how happy theÃ?Â*rest of theÃ?Â*family will be knowing the computer is all theirs and dear old Dad and his Luger buddies are out of the way.

All theÃ?Â*best.....Walt

Unread 03-27-2001, 12:35 PM   #5
Ted
User

Good idea Walt, actually, I have done about the opposite. I do a lot of my Luger work right at the computer table and I watch DVD movies on it too! My computer is my best piece of equipment, and my nice camera. Ted

Unread 03-27-2001, 01:10 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Dump the AOL Ted, They are anti-gun anyway.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, then after you open your AOL session, minimize the window and just open the Internet Explorer or Netscape to surf with. I think you will find either of them can use your AOL connection once it is established and leave all that AOL software overhead out of the picture and out of your way.

-John

Unread 03-27-2001, 03:31 PM   #7
EOC Bob
User

As you know Ted, my provider is also AOL. I was getting those "fatal error" messages frequently also. Then last week AOL "dumped" a new update in my computer and haven't got one since.

Unread 03-27-2001, 03:46 PM   #8
Ted
User

I can probably reinstall AOL and fix it then! That sounds like a plan! Ted

Unread 03-27-2001, 04:43 PM   #9
Kyrie
User

Hi Ted!

Works just fine for me. Have you tried sweet talking your PC?

Vry best,

Kyrie

Unread 03-27-2001, 04:44 PM   #10
Ted
User

I guess I will have to call in the big guns, nothing has worked so far. I am going to reinstall AOL and see VAT happens! JA!

Unread 03-27-2001, 04:55 PM   #11
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hey Ted...

Before you "re-install" - go to "My Computer - Control Panel - Add and Remove Software - AOL (your version) - Remove (button)" and do an uninstall of your AOL software. That should delete your DLL files that may be corrupt. Then restart your computer - and RENAME the OLD AOL directory (file folder) on your computer (in case you have any attachments you want later)...

If you simply do a re-install, DLL files with later date stamps will probably NOT be overwritten by the installation process - leaving corrupt DLLs in your System Directory..

HOWEVER - YOU better know your AOL password for signing back on BEFORE you do any of this!!!

Unread 03-27-2001, 05:13 PM   #12
Ted
User

Default Re: Hey Ted...

GOT IT! John, thanks