LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
hayhugh
User

Default Auction 18.5% ++++

Looking at last weeks auction and having won a couple of guns before on same type auctions, I now have a couple of questions:

I have had the experience of being charged 18.5 to 20% plus shipping & handling plus 3% internet fees. Question #1 How much does it cost the seller to sell on these auctions? I am sure there is S&H to the auction house - is there a registration fee?

Between what the seller has to pay and what the buyer has to pay, that adds up to quite a substantial "Middleman's" fee!

Are there any forum members interested in selling at a reduced fee to help eliminate the middleman?

I bid on three guns this last weekend and was out-bid by $500.00 to 1000.00 on each bid. Maybe my expectations are to great on maybe I was at the wrong auction. Someone was making money but there did not seem to be any "good deals"
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, is that although proxibid (if you have used that) is convenient, that you should bid on the actual site.

Plus, cash or check saves you 3% - which adds up

For Sellers, it depends on which auction site I think.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 02-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The sellers usually pay a fee that is anywhere from 15 to 30 percent.

There are quite a few costs to promoting and organizing an auction, but it does make a popular auction house quite a bit of money...

Marc
Unread 02-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
hayhugh
User

The Rock Island Auction was using at least two bidding houses (Proxibid and Invaluable) to accept bids and if you did not watch it you could be bidding against yourself.

I can only assume that the guns were at the RIA site and packaged and shipped from that site after payment was verified. Once the gun is in the hands of RIA that you can't buy the gun from another dealer for less money. Too much shipping and changing of hands to make it plausible. So once you see the gun in the catalog or on the RIA , Proxibid or Invaluable website, the only place to buy the gun would be online. Is this not true? I am asking this of someone who has actually sold a gun through an auction...
Unread 02-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
alvin
User

Have not sold anything from auction houses yet. No experience. But I will. A couple of expensive guns had some issues, but I was not allowed to return them back. Those two will be sent to the same auction houses for sale in future. No other choices. There are at least two advantages: (1) Since I am not the direct seller, I know nothing so I don't have to reveal anything. No such a burden; (2) if they use the same old description, that's fair. I have the old catalog.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
hayhugh
User

OK, from what I have learned here the seller of a gun has to pay the auction 15% + and the buyer has to pay @20% on top of what he bid.
So say I want to buy and bid $2500.00 on a Navy Luger. The seller would realize @ $2125.00 and I would end up paying $3000.00 on this gun. This does not seem like a good deal for the seller or buyer.
I am going over to the Want To Buy section and see If anyone on this forum can get me a better deal then the auctions

I would like to buy a pre 20's navy luger in the $2500.00 range (+/- a couple of hundred) I do not want a collector grade, just a good honest gun! Lets see what happens....