LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
This should be the one. It's sold to me in store. I don't understand why seller still leaves the ad there. If someone win it, how could it be delivered... unless he has another one for sale. Highly unlikely though. But who knows,,,

Anyway,,, if this is another one, I will give it a try again to get a pair. If it's the same one, no problem for me either.
Was it a second broomhandle??? Sold for $5,025...

Did you get it???

"No magazine"...

If yours came with magazine, then this must be second broomhandle '714'...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #22
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Was it a second broomhandle??? Sold for $5,025...

Did you get it???

"No magazine"...
I am the winner. But I doubt that he has another one... I have not contact him yet, he's in Texas, store not open until 10am central. If he indeed has another one, $5025 is a steal, I will very happy to pay for it to make a pair.

Numerous C96 collections went through auction sales in the past 10 years. I have seen only one of this in RIAC 2011 session (it's the same 84658 in gunboards.com). In the same time frame, I have met a dozen or so 20-shots (if I remembered right, Mauser only sold 177 20-shots). Even if Erickson's estimation of "10" were too low, I guess there are fewer of these than famous CC Luger (50?)

Magazine is nothing. $200-$300 item, depends on condition. Not numbered. And there are plentiful of them. But I changed my mind, I will leave it as is without magazine, it came to me without magazine, then, no magazine.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Alvin

Congratulations on your new broomhamdle then!

Sergio
Unread 02-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Alvin

Congratulations on your new broomhamdle then!

Sergio
Thanks.

At peak time, I had more than 50 broomhandles in safe. Too crowd So selling a few from time to time. Have not used any auction services nor dealer consignment services so far. But for this gun, probably have to send it to an auction service in future. Usually, people dare not buy very high value gun from private sale.
Unread 02-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Yes no doubt many people are a bit wary in these cases, a part from the fact that probably buying from a gunshop or from an auction is not always a guarantee for the genuinity of the item either.
Here for instance there is very little knowledge about Lugers and C96.
Even people that have been collecting/dealing with these two sort of guns for yonks still make terrific mistakes.

Sergio

P.S.

Anyway chapeau! to you.
Unread 02-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #26
alvin
User

That's right. My two "tuition" guns all came from auctioneers. To return something back to auctioneers was as hard as going to the moon. All sales are final, that's the biggest risk.

But I still monitor auctions. And, I gradually start understanding why many collectors, including many well known collections were sent to auction houses. Not because they are selling fakes (although they could misrepresent certain items occasionally). Auction houses marketing is strong, and they do carry many good items.

One evidence -- RIAC could sell mint M1930 without stock to $6000-$7000. There definitely is a trust factor inside. Not all bidders could spend tons of time on studying guns, but they have money. Which individual collector seller could push it to that level. Probably none.

And, gun like standard C96, although being common, while in high condition, it could go crazy too. People bid one mint example from Sturgess collection to $9k-$10k range last year (with Simpson's stamp on its butt!!).. If it were not sold via Julia, I seriously doubt it could go 50% of that.

Last edited by alvin; 02-02-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 02-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #27
alvin
User

Final report on this to close this story: there is no 2nd one.