LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
jmiles13
User

Default Replacing Rear Toggle Link Part

On a cold winter morning in 1985, I took my prized 1915 DWM Luger to the range to fire off a few rounds. I suspect, by mistake, I picked up some hot 9mm ammo; the right toggle knob broke off and flew over my head as the pistol fired off a round.

Yes, it was a numbers matching Luger and in hindsight I realized I was an idiot for shooting it, but the damage was done. Not having the Internet back in the day, I picked up the phone and ordered another Toggle link from Sarco. My local gunsmith did an excellent job of aging the finish and installing the replacement part. I did a test fire with a few light load rounds and promptly retired the Luger to the gun safe. Lesson learned the hard way.

Every now and then, I would search the various gun forums, shows and ebay for the exact number replacement Toggle Link. Somewhere, somehow, at some price, I knew I could find another one.

Last week I hit pay dirt. The toggle link arrived today and even the finish is nearly perfect, along with the font of the two digits matching the rest on my DWM. I was ready to dance on the table.

The million dollar question: I do most of my own minor gunsmithing work and have the basic tools. Brass punches, etc. but honestly, have never worked on or messed with disassembly of a Luger beyond basic cleaning and maintenance. Given the fit / finish of these pistols, I never thought of messing with it.

I watched a few YouTube videos and even found one where the guy takes the complete toggle assemble apart; every single piece. IMO, it looks fairly straight forward.

Before I plunge forward, I would appreciate any advice from folks here about replacing this part. I have the Weaver Deluxe Gunsmith toolkit; that's it. Basic brass punches, a punch block, hammer and lots of patience.

Is it likely the replacement toggle link will simply slip into place with no need for fitting or tweaking? That pin I see going in from the top, holding the sideways pin looks interesting to remove and replace... otherwise, my confidence is feeling fairly strong to move forward.

Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance for the help and support.
jmiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Go for it. The process is as simple as you witnessed in the youtube video...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles13 View Post
Is it likely the replacement toggle link will simply slip into place with no need for fitting or tweaking? That pin I see going in from the top, holding the sideways pin looks interesting to remove and replace...
I would do a Search here and see if you can't find a thread with pictures detailing how to remove/replace that pin...And print the pics (or whole thread) out...

YouTube videos are somewhat entertaining, but always small and blurry...And don't always show everything...I like to have the pics on hand to make sure I'm not forgetting something...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

The whole thing is no that difficult, but If you are not quite sure of what you are doing address yourself to a proper armourer.
IMHO.

Sergio
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
jmiles13
User

Thanks for everyone's feedback. After searching through the forum and do some reading, I'm feeling confident enough to go forward with replacing the Toggle Link myself. Believe me, if I get in a jam I'll ask here or send it out to Luger Doc or someone else. The local gunsmith in my area takes forever to turnaround a repair (backlog).

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Once the old one is off, I'll have a #47 marked Toggle Link to sell. Hopefully someone needs it as badly as I did the one to complete my P08.
jmiles13 is offline   Reply With Quote