LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
foxdoublegunner
User

Default Erfurt 1914

Gentlemen,
I have the opportunity to purchase an Erfurt P08 1914 with all matching serial numbers (exception of the magazines) and original finish. It is marked Germany on the frame which I understand indicates that it was exported to the States sometime after the war. It has a three digit serial number. The bore looks clean and there is little surface damage. The owner has offered to sell for 1740 including two wood bottom magazines. I have attached pictures for reference. Please give me your opinions. It would be a collector piece with occasional firing.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140425_151025_078.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	41433  

Name:	IMG_20140425_150738_706.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	41434  

Name:	IMG_20140425_150340_728.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	41435  

Name:	IMG_20140425_150332_530.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	41436  

Name:	IMG_20140425_150311_891.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	41437  

Name:	IMG_20140425_150254_455.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	41438  

foxdoublegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Ricardo, Welcome to the forum! The finish on this 1914 Erfurt does look original, but I have to tell you that most collectors consider the "GERMANY" marking to be a negative. I would value this gun about $500.00 less than the seller is asking.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,433 Posts

The right side of the rear sight is badly damaged..The grips are pretty worn. I agree with Norm but with what I see I would not be so generous. $8-900 would be tops for me.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
foxdoublegunner
User

Default Erfurt 1914

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the feedback. Perhaps my cell phone camera doesn't do the pistol justice.
While it bears the scars of honest wear, in person it doesn't look abused in any way and in fact it looks quite respectable compared to many samples I have seen. I am a novice though when it comes to Lugers, despite having collected firearms for a number of years.
The Germany stamp is a concern to me, but I have a Bavarian M1 carbine from the CMP that is a jewel and in that case the German and Austrian provenance is a collector plus. Many Lugers that I have come across are either mix masters or refinish jobs. With few exceptions they are running in the high 1800's to mid 2500's for an imperial luger with low serial number so this sample appears fairly priced in comparison. Can you give me an idea of how much the Germany stamp might affect value and is the low serial number/good mechanical condition/matching serial numbers offset that to any extent. The owner disassembled the pistol and removed the grips for me. I was pleased to see that even the grips had the proper serial number and stamp. Do you think that the grips would be worth cleaning up if I ended up purchasing the pistol?

Thank you
Unread 04-26-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

With few exceptions they are running in the high 1800's to mid 2500's for an imperial luger with low serial number so this sample appears fairly priced in comparison.

Look I hate to seem argumentative but you are not hearing...THE REAR SIGHT IS SMASHED! This is more serious than GERMANY or worn grips or whatever else concerns you. It affects the PRICE a great deal IMO. It's not like it was the front sight in that it cannot be replaced. You seem to be ignoring this.
Low serial numbers mean..well..NOTHING. What means anything is matching and condition. You are missing 50% OF THAT EQUATION.
It would be a collector piece..well sort of a collector piece... with a SMASHED OFF REAR SIGHT! In collector circles a SMASHED OFF REAR SIGHT is a serious negotiation for a price adjustment even if you want a pistol with a SMASHED OFF REAR SIGHT. Take a look..it's right over there..and one last piece of advice..when you go to sell this pistol the buyer is going to hit you over the head with LOOK! A SMASHED OFF REAR SIGHT!

Hey good Luck! It's your hard earned after tax cash.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 04-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #6
foxdoublegunner
User

Default Erfurt 1914

Jerry,
I appreciate your insight. I ask questions concerning relative importance of various aspects of the pistol in order to learn and compare with my experience collecting other firearms. If the damaged rear sight is of overwhelming importance in the realm of lugers, compared to other aspects that I have mentioned, then that is what I need to hear. It is not what I would have expected, but that is why I asked for the opinions of experts.
I look forward to learning more as I continue the search.

Have a good weekend,
Ricardo
Unread 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
The right side of the rear sight is badly damaged..The grips are pretty worn. I agree with Norm but with what I see I would not be so generous. $8-900 would be tops for me.
I agree with the price if $800 is tops...The rear sight does not look as bad to me as Jerry has described, but I agree that to a *collector* this is a deal-breaker. It's a shooter. It's too bad the Russians didn't capture this one - They'd have fixed it up nicely!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sight.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	41441  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

BTW, looking at your 1914 Erfurt toggle assembly, and specifically the rear sight, I notice it has a chamfer on the leading edge of the sight...

Perhaps our Erfurt experts can answer - Is this common/exclusive to Erfurts??? I have five toggle assemblies here, mostly DWM, and none have this chamfer...

I was going to say that if it were mine, I would take a skim cut off the top of the sight to cut away most of the gouges, and then take a shallow cut with a chamfer cutter to restore that chamfer...

Hmmmm???

It'd still be a shooter...But somewhat better looking...

And an additional BTW - The three digit serial number happens every 901 times out of 10,000...(One and two digit numbers the same)...If the suffix goes out to six letters (as an example) then that's 9,010 Lugers with a three digit serial...Not anything special...

...Although a serial of 666 was advertised on GB some time ago as 'rare, special'...

Someone please correct my math...

Last edited by sheepherder; 04-26-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: is my math correct??? who knows...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Don't misinterpret my message. It's all about purchase price. The pistol can and should be restored. it's a worthwhile project. To be done right takes time and money, why overpay?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
foxdoublegunner
User

Default Erfurt 1914

Shepherder,
Thanks for the additional input. If I decide to go through with this and make an offer, I will keep that in mind. It doesn't sound like too difficult a task for a gunsmith and the damage didn't look too deep when I looked at it.
It is interesting to hear from the long time Luger collectors what they consider as deal breakers compared to what is acceptable in the context of other factors. For instance I have no interest whatsoever in owning a Nazi era Luger even if it were a rare example in excellent condition offered at a reasonable price. They have no allure for me. However, I have always been interested in artifacts from the "Great War" hence my desire to acquire an example of an Imperial Luger. Artifacts in original condition with wear indicative of honest use, possibly in combat, are also of interest to me because they display their history rather than refinished or pristine examples which strike me as sterile. That is all part of the fun of collecting-each can indulge their particular interests.
By the way, if it is of any importance, the serial number is a straight three digits without any suffix. Is it true that ERFURT produced about 7000 of the P08 model in 1914? The two magazines which would come with this are both the wooden base variety in good serviceable shape. On line I am seeing them offered from $150-200 although I am sure that those with more experience can locate them for considerably cheaper.

Regards,
Ricardo
Unread 04-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdoublegunner View Post
...The two magazines which would come with this are both the wooden base variety in good serviceable shape...
Welcome to the forum Ricardo.

One aspect of old wood-bottom mags is their potential frailty due to age. The can, and do, break during use--the wood bottom cracks enough to release it from the mag body, and its remnants, along with the mag spring, go flying.

Common practice is to reserve the originals for display, and shoot with new MecGar mags. The latter are available sporadically, so score a couple at normal retail when you see they are available at the usual suppliers!

Restoration of a Luger is a nice thing, I'd say. But you'll be happier if you do not pay full retail for a gun that "needs" this kind of work. I doubt the seller will be willing to drop far enough to make the deal, but it's worth a try. In the end, the decision is all yours, so if you, yourself, are happy and satisfied with whatever deal you can hammer out, then all is good.

The other guys are correct about the relative irrelevance of a 1,2, or 3-digit serial number.
Unread 04-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I do not know where that you live, and how scarce Lugers for sale are to find. Different areas of the Country have different values placed on Lugers, depending on availability, etc.

I would not be interested in that Erfurt at the asking price under any situation. One can purchase a lot of Luger(great condition etc.) for that amount of money. It all boils down to what you want and are willing to pay for it. Try not to let desire overcome reality.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,554 Times in 954 Posts

The serial number without a suffix is not meaningful except it was one of the early 1914 production. With the exception of a few in 1910, 1914 was the lowest production year. Again not really significant unless looking for all years. Erfurt mags. are somewhat different than DWM's. They are a slightly different color and the stake marks are different. If the mags with this are both wood bottoms maybe one will turn out to be an Erfurt. As to the finish would take an in hand examination. It doesn't appear to have been polished or buffed so finish may well be original. I assume you will have a few days inspection period? Only then will you really know the whole story. For what it's worth I would not pay over $1000 for this and then the mags would need to be reasonably good. Happy collecting and ask all the questions you want. That's what this Forum is about. Bill
Unread 04-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

No idea where you live, since you didn't put that in your profile...

But where I have lived and visited, $1740 plus taxes would buy me a pretty nice luger. When first looking for one, they seem scarce. Trust me, they are not, there are hundreds on line from reputable sellers - there is no reason to jump right onto this one.

I am assuming you have some good luger books? I have always felt that before buying a luger you should buy a couple of good books (note, many are fine, some are much better).

If you want pre-WW2, good, lots of them out there.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post: