LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
stressed
User

Default Chronographing lugers

Has anyone chronorgaped 4", 6" Navy and 8" Artillery lugers next to each other? Just curious.
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed View Post
Has anyone chronorgaped 4", 6" Navy and 8" Artillery lugers next to each other? Just curious.
Hi,

That's an interesting question.

You would first have to decide on the common ammo to be shot through all three, which could take some considerable thinking and judgment, otherwise your exercise would be meaningless.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
stressed
User

I would reccomend WWB type 115 being shot through all 3, then a 124gr weight load being fired through all three, and the strings recorded.

I personally use magtech in my luger. Being that the luger is an unsuported chamber like a glock, and can get the "glock buldge' I would only use premium or middle ammo. I have seen failures in WWB with low quaity control that would destroy a luger.
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Sieger
User

Quote:
I would reccomend WWB type 115 being shot through all 3, then a 124gr weight load being fired through all three, and the strings recorded.

I personally use magtech in my luger. Being that the luger is an unsuported chamber like a glock, and can get the "glock buldge' I would only use premium or middle ammo. I have seen failures in WWB with low quaity control that would destroy a luger.
Hi,

Loaded to original DWM specs, which are light by today's standards, I've never seen or measured any type of a bulge in the base of brass fired through a Luger.

Now a days, if the primer isn't melted in its pocket, the case head not flattened to the point you can't even read the manufacturer's name and the bullet not blasting out of the barrel at warp speed, the cartridge is seen as underpowered, somehow.

Sieger
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
stressed
User

Sieger,

Do you hand load all of your ammunition? You must if you want original DWM specs. Even WWB will causes bulges. So would they in effect, call this the "Luger Smiley"?

Best of luck.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
stressed
User

I know this is not the original topic of this thread but I wanted to add it. These are 3 standard pressure casings of different brands fired through my Luger. From left to right - Federal, Magtech & Blazer. They all exhibit a slight bulge. (Don't have a steel case for comparison, as I won't shoot it through a luger)

It's hard to see with the flash, but plain as day when looking at them in person.

Unread 02-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
nukem556
User

Actually, I did this about 2 months ago and was impressed by the velocity gain. I took my 4 in 1936 Luger and my 1917 Arty to the range and fired a few rounds across my ProChro chronograph
( Its always been accurate and repeatable ). The loads were 6.2gr of Power Pistol, 125gr Hornady HAP bullet and Win. primers. The 4 incher was doing around 1180-1190, and the rounds out of the Arty were averaging 1305 !
Now, these loads were made up for my Browning Hi-Power, and are probably a little too stiff for regular use in a Luger, but it does show those extra 4 inches do make a difference.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Sieger
User

Quote:
Sieger,

Do you hand load all of your ammunition? You must if you want original DWM specs. Even WWB will causes bulges. So would they in effect, call this the "Luger Smiley"?

Best of luck.
Hi,

Yes, I handload all of my Luger ammo.

WWB is too hot and does not group worth a ......!

I've shot hot ammo in my Lugers before, and none showed bulges in their bases of any discernible kind.

Sieger
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Actually, I did this about 2 months ago and was impressed by the velocity gain. I took my 4 in 1936 Luger and my 1917 Arty to the range and fired a few rounds across my ProChro chronograph
( Its always been accurate and repeatable ). The loads were 6.2gr of Power Pistol, 125gr Hornady HAP bullet and Win. primers. The 4 incher was doing around 1180-1190, and the rounds out of the Arty were averaging 1305 !
Now, these loads were made up for my Browning Hi-Power, and are probably a little too stiff for regular use in a Luger, but it does show those extra 4 inches do make a difference.
Hi,

I also own a Hi-Power and enjoy shooting it very much.

I agree that 6.2grs of Power Pistol is a bit hot for a Luger. My accuracy load for the 124gr bullet is 5.4grs. It is a full power load and is highly accurate.

For my LP-08, I have settled in on slower powders than Power Pistol for tighter groups.

So far, for P-08 Luger shooting, Power Pistol has been the very best powder I've worked with to date. Later this Spring, if I can locate any powder to test, I'm going to test just about every medium/slow powder I can find for function and accuracy.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 02-23-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Sieger
User

Quote:
I know this is not the original topic of this thread but I wanted to add it. These are 3 standard pressure casings of different brands fired through my Luger. From left to right - Federal, Magtech & Blazer. They all exhibit a slight bulge. (Don't have a steel case for comparison, as I won't shoot it through a luger)

It's hard to see with the flash, but plain as day when looking at them in person.

Hi,

Do the bulges go all the way around the bases of the cases, or are they lopsided on one side?

Also, the Luger has a stepped chamber (slightly bottlenecked near the top of the brass). Are you taking this fact into account?

Sieger
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
nukem556
User

Sieger, do you have any experience using AA #7 in longer barreled Lugers? Ive got a good bit I bought a while back to use in 7.62 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser, but haven't really done anything with it in 9mm.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
stressed
User

hey Seiger. it appears to be lopsided. I was not aware of the stepped chamber.
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem556 View Post
Sieger, do you have any experience using AA #7 in longer barreled Lugers? Ive got a good bit I bought a while back to use in 7.62 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser, but haven't really done anything with it in 9mm.
Hi,

For the LP-08, my best two powders have been 3N37 and Blue Dot.

With 3N37, I can regularly shoot three shot groups into about .5 inches at 25 yards.

With Blue Dot, I can regularly shoot three shot groups into about 1.0 inch at 25 yards.

Both of these groups were shot with the stock attached and rested over a sandbag.

I've never tired AA#7, but would really like to. The problem now, as you know, is simply finding any powder to buy.

Sieger
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Sieger
User

Quote:
hey Seiger. it appears to be lopsided. I was not aware of the stepped chamber.
Hi,

Look at your fired casings and you will note a round step in the brass some several mm below the case mouths.

This little idea was patented by Luger to assist in sealing the case to the chamber walls, upon firing. Great idea and it works quite well, too.

Again, I've never observed bulges in the bases of any 9mm Luger shot brass I've ever sized for reloading. Had I, they would have been trashed, immediately.

Perhaps, your chamber has bulged, somehow.

Sieger
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,351 Posts

In the pic of the three casings...notice the triangular mark at the mouth of the case on the left. I have encountered this before, with my SS 90s Luger, only in mirror-image. One leg of the triangle is a hard line; mine would have been on the opposite side of the triangle. With a couple rounds Magic-marked and oriented with the mark at the extractor notch when in battery (so when I retrieved the brass, I could reconcile the dent on the shell with the extractor notch, thereby able to see which side of the action it was encountering on the way out), I chased this problem down to the extractor, which was whacking the mouth of the case against a square corner on the left, inside the barrel extension when the ejecting, resulting in the the very same mark. The stainless steel karate chop my brass was getting on the way out included a galled-up burr. This seemed to me to require remediation, if I was going to save my 9mm for reloading.

Upon inspection, the left side of the extractor's claw hung down a little further than the other, and I reasoned that when the ejector was encountered, the extractor would pull the shell to the left when kicked by the ejector. After a bit of filing to make the extractor claw closer to symmetrical, the gall no longer appeared, only a slight deformation. I quit while ahead, since there are no spare parts for these guns.

Anywho, that shell in the pic leads me to believe that the Luger that fired it has a damaged extractor... The right side of the claw is longer, I'll bet.