LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #21
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

sheepherder...Good point, I missed that subtlety. Yes, now that I look at it from that standpoint, there is a different font...actually looks like they used 9s upside down for the 6s under the barrel.
The more we see of this pistol, the more questions arise. It looks like it was "built up" from any number of unrelated parts. I guess there is enough G Date to it to call it a G Date mis-match. Given the fairly nice holster, I think it's safe to say I'm in to the pistol at under $1K ($1095 total with holster and tool delivered). Here's a couple of pics of the holster. I'll run it by Jerry Burney for his comments, but I think it's safe to evaluate it at $150. It's a 1941 dated A. Fischer hardshell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00613.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	39857  

Name:	DSC00620.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	39858  

Name:	DSC00616.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	39859  

Name:	DSC00618.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	39860  

Name:	DSC00622.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	39861  

Name:	DSC00614.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	39862  

sthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #22
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

I looked at the pics again, and the one of the front of the frame under the barrel makes me wonder... Notice how the upper seems to protrude just slightly proud of the frame? Notice also the irregularity of the curved surface related? Could this frame have been re-numbered?
Unread 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default G Date Receiver Photo

Here is my refinished "G" date receiver... This picture shows the letter without any fillers.

And David's observation looks accurate to me. The front of the frame looks ground back, renumbered and refinished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GDate.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	39866  

Unread 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Good point, David. The way the forward curve comes up unevenly, and the tool marks have bothered me too. The upper to lower fit may suggest that the lower has been shaved.
But then again I suppose that we have killed this horse pretty dead by now. It is still an interesting shooter at a good price.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
But then again I suppose that we have killed this horse pretty dead by now. It is still an interesting shooter at a good price.
dju
When posting, I had the feeling that I was giving that horse one last nudge with my toe. And the story ends happily, nonetheless!
Unread 02-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

ithacaartist...yes, I see the step from receiver to frame...about a fingernail thickness. Plus what looks like brush or wire wheel marks on the rounded area in front of the take down lever, suggesting serious re-work. All in all, I think we can put a fork in this one and close with David's line..."I suppose that we have killed this horse pretty dead by now. It is still an interesting shooter at a good price."
Many thanks to all for your interest and comments...extremely helpful. Steve
Unread 02-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #27
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Steve,

Your photos are so well done, and there are so many interesting things about this Luger, that I think this should qualify as a "sticky"...

It amazes me when I consider the effort that went into this Luger, and the number of very subtle things that can be observed about it, the tool and the holster.

Clearly someone wanted to increase the rarity and value while they created a matching Luger, yet it was sold at shooter prices to you. With all that effort there was apparently no financial payback. Interesting, to say the least.
Unread 02-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
klaus 3338
User

Sorry but your holster is an Imperial holster: the year 1941 a the Nazi eagle are added later.
The tool is a fake and made in our days.
The number on the frame may be ok but it is not the correct a G- date frame that is made in 1935. The kind of number should be the same as on the barrel. Your Luger is a parts gun.
Regards from Germany.
Klaus
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Clearly someone wanted to increase the rarity and value while they created a matching Luger, yet it was sold at shooter prices to you. With all that effort there was apparently no financial payback. Interesting, to say the least.

mrerick...yes, I've been meaning to comment on this point, but keep forgetting. I think there is a good explanation...
I talked directly to the guy I bought it from to negotiate the sale. He was fairly candid about losing a "bunch" on it. Apparently he paid much more and only later found out some of what we now know. He was pretty square in his representation of it to me, therefore the "reasonable" price to me....although, I think he missed a few things, which are now coming out of the woodwork...thanks to you guys.
Yes, this has been a great learning experience...with minimal financial damage. Steve
Unread 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #30
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Klaus...I didn't recognize it, but you are correct. I just heard from Jerry B. and he said the same thing about the holster. Well, that fits with the story of the pistol and the tool...one giant scam! I appreciate your several comments...Steve
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #31
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You mean to tell me that THEY EVEN BOOSTED THE HOLSTER!!!???
Is nothing sacred?
dju
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #32
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

And Sthomp, please don't feel that we are picking on you, but it's just rarely that we get so much to talk about on the same gun...
dju
Unread 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #33
sthomp
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Angry

David...not at all...it's been a real eye-opener and I've really learned a lot in a very short time. I still plan to get together with GT next week for a post mortem...and let him scold me for being so gullible...I bought my first Luger with his guidance several years ago and generally he signs off on what I buy, P38 and P08. I'm lucky to have him living only a few miles away. But I went solo on this one.
I really don't think I'll take much of a bath on this...but life is like that...win some, lose some, and hopefully learn a lot.
OBTW, I found where that tool came from quite by accident. I was cruising the Luger related listings on Ebay and there it was...a listing for EXACTLY this tool..."byf41" marked on the tab...ten available for buy now of $8.95 ea...Steve
Unread 02-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #34
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

You did not get hurt on this one at all. And you know that if I saw this sitting on the shelf of the LGS I'd have been all over it too...
dju