LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
winkzoot
User

Default Help Identifying Mauser P08

I recently recieved a Mauser P08. Below is what I know about it but I would like to know more about it including approximate value and weather or not it should be a shooter.

Here is what I know with some pictures.

Maker: Mauser
Chamber Inscription: 1939
No grip safety
Stock lug present
9 mm
All the numbers that I can see match including one of the mags. The second mag does not match.

This is a mark I have not found any information on:

Thanks again for all the help.
winkzoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Looks to me like a Mauser "Banner" Luger designated for police use. From what I see it appears original. The finish is a bit glossy but I believe that to be correct and original.
We'd need to see more photos of the markings on the mag. to be certain that it was an original issue item vs. a police re-issue item.
These are not really my area, as the Mauser guns are not all that common, but I'll take a WAG at around $2k or a bit more, assuming all matching and one matching mag.
It is a very nice gun and if you shoot it and break a numbered part it will be worth about 1/2 or 2/3 as much. It would be a fine shooter, just financially risky. Now the choice is yours.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I didn't recognize that you were the owner of the Navy posted earlier today.
Say, that is some Grampa you have, or had. Both extra-ordinary guns.
Sorry, but I'm still not seeing a shooter...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

There are many mismatched lugers to be shot. But not that one. My two cents. Bill
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum.

You have a relatively rare 1939 commercial Mauser Banner luger in the "v" block.

It appears to be in it's original factory state, with original finish that has light wear.

If all the numbered parts are matching, this is a very collectable firearm.

Simpson's Ltd currently lists two of these in similar condition without the matching magazine. They are priced at $3750 to $4250 retail.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?...4b97796a770d9e

Your gun with the matching magazine (if original) would be worth more.

I personally would never take the chance of damaging this Luger by firing it.

Congratulations on a very fine collectable...
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
mystical_tutor
User

Is there a story with this? If so preserving it for your family is a serious consideration. I have seen only one really nice one done up. A fellow brought to the gun show to show me. He had the Luger mounted in a glass case with some other items his father brought back and the letter from his unit commander allowing him to take it home.

Hope you do. If not, it is always worth the memory you have of him. Shoot it if that brings you closer. Much more valuable than money.

Actually I am a pro "shoot your Lugers" guy but I'm the minority here. I think some of these folks wouldn't even play golf if they had a matching set of Homma clubs...

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
winkzoot
User

Thanks for the excellent information and advice. I am curious about the eagle/K marking on the right hand side. I looked at the technical informaion section and it looks similar to proof mark 49. It appears in the last picture above. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
winkzoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

The eagle on the right is the police acceptance marking

And anyone can shoot their guns, but yes, breachblocks do get damaged and so if willing to risk or can afford it; then you can risk a $3000+ dollar gun losing more than half its value.

I have no idea what a Horma golf club is but I am assuming it is not 70 years old?
Are they still made?

As they say, go ahead, shoot it, makes my 1939 police have more value at every shot
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Tony Min
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
The eagle on the right is the police acceptance marking

And anyone can shoot their guns, but yes, breachblocks do get damaged and so if willing to risk or can afford it; then you can risk a $3000+ dollar gun losing more than half its value.

I have no idea what a Horma golf club is but I am assuming it is not 70 years old?
Are they still made?

As they say, go ahead, shoot it, makes my 1939 police have more value at every shot
I am the moron that shoots his guns. I might not shoot that one a lot though. I would maybe shoot it a little and put it away. There are lesser Lugers one can shoot for the heck of it.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
mystical_tutor
User

Ed,

Homma clubs are just rich man's toys. Though they cost 2-10K a set they must not be all that great because you don't see the big players using them at events. I used the parallelism because they also are serial numbered as a set, collectible and can break in usage. If I had a set, I'd probably use it. If I did, and I broke a club I would be man enough to shoulder the responsibility of my choice.

I do hope we can disagree on this point without being disagreeable.

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Sorry but I agree comppletely with Edward, I m a "Luger fundamentalist" :-) and I always tend to treat all my collectibles guns like old precious relics from the past, still it's a matter of personal choice.

Now coming to the point, first of all welcome to this forum made by LUGER enthusiasts; I think that you've got quite a nice MAUSER "Banner" made in 1939, " that has quite well kept during all these years, check it properly inside if it is all matching, magazine included.
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Sorry but I agree comppletely with Edward, I m a "Luger fundamentalist" :-) and I always tend to treat all my collectibles guns like old precious relics from the past, still it's a matter of personal choice.

Now coming to the point, first of all welcome to this forum made by LUGER enthusiasts; I think that you've got quite a nice MAUSER "Banner" made in 1939, " that has quite well kept during all these years, check it properly inside if it is all matching, magazine included.
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
Gebirg
User

I fire my P.08 whenever i want to - its a 1940 by 42
Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote