LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Shadowsix
User

Default Webley RIC .450cal: Any info would be great!

I've been very busy at work the past few months but that didn't slow my appetite for collecting.

My latest acquisition is this Webley RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) No. 1 450CF serial#85XXX

Unfortunately it looks like it was refinished long ago so the markings are shallow.

Besides wanting to know what year it was made, also since it has stamped on the frame top strap "ARMY & NAVY" was that the store that sold it and what is the "C.S.L.", is the "C" for commercial?

Any info would be great!

Also in the past few months I also got this Colt M1877 "Lightning" DA .38cal from 1882 (I'm ordering a letter from Colt for this one) and a Browning Hi-Power from the 1970's. Yes I know those aren't factory grips, I got those to replace a Pachmyer black rubber front strap wrap around unigrip the previous owner left on it. I'm going to find proper factory grips for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webley_RIC_leftside_1_v1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	36868  

Name:	Webley_RIC_rightside_1_v1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	36869  

Name:	Webley_RIC_top_strap_1_v1.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	36870  

Name:	Webley_RIC_Cylinder_markings_1_v1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	36871  

Name:	Webley_RIC_underside_1_v1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	36872  

Name:	Webley_RIC_cylinder_rem_1_v1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	36873  

Name:	Colt_M1877_LF_1_v1.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	36874  

Name:	Belgian_Browning_Hi-Power_LF_1_v1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	36875  

Last edited by Shadowsix; 10-16-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
singleshotman
User

Army and Navy store is a famous co=op set up about 1870 to allow Army and Naval officers to buy Handguns, rifles and uniforms at less than retail prices. Many Army officers were not rich and had to live off there wages. Thus this store, for more info try the "British militaria Forums", its a great site for Victoria era Rifles, shotguns and Handguns. I even found out how to remove the Cylinder from a "Pryse" Webley Revolver in .476 Enfield. I shoot almost anything, except I gave up on muzzle loading rilles spme years ago. I cannot get up and down easily to load them anymore. This due to a bad hip and knees, they hurt today because its raining here in north TX.
singleshotman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to singleshotman for your post:
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I still have an Army & Navy .450 Nitro double rifle. It is built on a standard action, perfect in every way, but lacking a bit of the engraving commonly seen on these rifles. I even have the "import license" paperwork when the Brit. soldier took it and exactly 21 rounds of Kynoch ammo. into Kenya in 1928. Many years later a writer nemed Howard French featured this exact rifle in the 1989 Gun Digest article, "Double Rifles Had Glamour".
Anyway, Army & Navy arms were certainly high quality, generally made by the big gunmakers and branded for A&N distribution.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Shadowsix
User

Thanks DavidJayUden & singleshotman!

Singleshotman that was excellent advice to try the Brittish Militaria Forums. I made a post there in their Brittish handgun section and someone was able to tell me what C.S.L. stands for which goes with the store name: "Army & Navy Co-operative Society Limited"

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me when it was made. I know Webley started making the RIC in 1868 and continued through the 1880's but it would be nice to know at least an approximate year.
Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote