LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Motown
User

Default 1918 Military Request for Info

Hello! Back after a LONG hiatus... just had a friend show me a Luger that his grandfather brought back from WWII - it's a 1918 DWM military, no 'double date' - the only mark that doesn't match a 'standard' 1918 WW I Army weapon is a small waffenampt on the barrel, no numerals or defining marks w/the eagle and swastika...looking for any info to pass to him about the gun...serial # is low one, '724' w/no scriptic letter, so I assume it's a low serial # for 1918 (assuming the numbering was the same on the old DWMs as was on the later Mausers)

Appreciate any input or info!

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Motown
User

Hopefully the pics will help- first time trying to attach photos. A few more notes; 1. upon further investigation, the pistol has a DWM rework stamp on the barrel, which I assume means it was reworked during WW1? 2. Gun was supposedly brought home by a WW2 vet - but I noticed that it isn't all matching - the barrel shows a small waffenamt but has a matching serial # to the pistol that seems to be original and not added. The toggle pin isn't matching, but that is only part I've found w/a non matching #. Would that have been the reason for rework, and if so, why was the serial # not changed to match?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0118_2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	33092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0121_2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	33093  

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
SteveM
User

Can't tell for sure but above the chamber it looks like there is a notch cut out. This would indicate that this Luger was a LP08(Artillery Luger) at one time and that would be the reason for re-work. They were reworked post war and re-routed to various organizations.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sorry but can't make out the barrel marking due to glare. Your 1918 receiver only has one Imperial inspection marking, rather than the usual three. This tells me that although made in 1918, it was not assembled as a complete pistol during WW1, rather was kept as a spare part, perhaps by one of the repair depots, and assembled by them post 1933 (judging from the test fire proofing) either as a replacement part or as a whole gun. I'd have to see all the other parts & markings to say which. TH
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

I think i have a 724 upstairs too
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Motown
User

Barrel marks are a crown w/RC (the Erfurt or DWM rework mark that is to the left in the picture) and a crown w/a very ornate B under it. The waffenampt is the the firing proof from post 1933? I can get another picture of the top of the barrel to confirm or deny the rework from an artillery to a short barrel. Now that I look at the pic, the barrel is a bit of a different color blue from the rest of the pistol - that lends credence to the barrel change mod after the war theory.