LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts
Default Russian Capture/VoPo P-38

There's been a lot of talk about Russian Capture/VoPo refurbished Lugers. I don't have one, but I do have this RC/VoPo P-38. I invite you to examine these pictures and decide if the VoPo refurbs are as poor quality as some describe.

I don't hold this up as any kind of quality restoration; it is IMO a representative example of the work performed by the East German armorers.

Frame has X's above left trigger guard; what looks like 3 / waffenamt 359 / slash star next to X's. Right side has serial 1856. Slide marked ac 41, serial 1856d. Barrel marked 1856 over d. Magazine looks like jvd. Left side of locking block marked 856d; right side has waffenamt 359. Left side of barrel block marked 8,82; right side marked with a 4-pointed star within a 4-pointed star, then 23 and waffenampt 359.

Entire pistol is re-blued and is a uniform black color; not a thick dip, but not thin either. Nice 'dip' finish job. Grips didn't photograph well but are unworn and no chips. Grips marked P over 1528 over 4 on right grip; left grip P over 1529 over 6.

Front of barrel block is ground/polished flat (I would say ground as the edges are *sharp*), as is the front edge of the slide. Front edge of frame still shows milling cutter marks.

Bore is excellent, possibly never fired. Overall finish shows no sign of holster wear; magazine shows no sign of wear. Barrel and slide rubbing surfaces unworn; frame rails unworn.

If I had to make a guess, it would be that this pistol was refinished & any worn parts replaced and then stored. It has the RGUNS import stamp, on right of slide.

I would not call this a 'collectible', but I would rate it as a high-end shooter. A P-38 with a nice history; some use in WW II and then a rack queen with the Volkspolizei.

If the VoPo Lugers look as good as this P-38, I would have no problem paying ~$1,000+ or even a couple hindred more for one.

Just my $.02...

(I apologize for the poor quality pics; taken outside in shade but still not quite right)...

Again, I'm not holding this up as my pride & joy...But I'm not ashamed to pull it out at the range either...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p38_1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	31910  

Name:	p38_2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	31911  

Name:	p38_3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	31912  

Name:	p38_4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	31913  

Name:	p38_5.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	31914  

Name:	p38_6.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	31915  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
pitsword
User

Rich, that is very nice. That AC 41 slide makes it an early unit.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
juliuscaesar31544
User

Default G Date

Thanks for the additional information. I couldn't get a very clear picture of the X on your P-38; the one on my G Date is etched rather deeply, i.e., the thin end of a toothpick would, if placed in the cut, just about fill the depth of the cut. The area covered by the cut is about twice that of the X typed here. Once again, thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Dan
juliuscaesar31544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliuscaesar31544 View Post
I couldn't get a very clear picture of the X on your P-38
Likely not done at the same facility as Lugers; my X's look like they were done with an I rather than an X...

...But the idea is the same...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xmarks.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	32412  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts
Default Nice RC P.38s

Rich,

I've got a couple of RC P.38 pistols. They are excellent shooters, and have very good finishes. They function without any problems.

I've also got a forced match AC42 that is similar to yours... Most of the upper is matching (except for the hammer) and the lower is all matching. Both from AC42 pistols.

The seller postulated that the force match may have been done in Czechoslovakia after the war...

Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P38AC42L.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	32413  

Name:	P38AC42R.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	32414  

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Wilhelm
User

Hey, that's my old pistol I think!! 3190g correct? I originally bought that at a Penn. gun show for 300 bucks and sold it just a few years ago. It's an excellent shooter and I can tell you from experience that it performs well in snow, a light mud coating and also after being dunked in water. I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm pretty sure that it's a DDR rework though. I took the hood off the slide to get a look at the firing pin and it's a DDR replacement part.