LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Zamo
User

Default My new 1936 S/42...anybody seen this one before?

I just landed this Luger, and am wondering if it's previous owner frequents this board?
I bought it via a certain online auction site from a fellow in Georgia. Serial number is 8413h. As far as I can tell it's all original and in pretty nice shape. The camera actually shows more imperfections than my eyes can generally see, and the worst blemishes are the slight freckling behind the trigger plate, along with some high edge wear on the muzzle, right side high edges, and the bottom of the trigger guard.
I had wanted a 1936 for some time, but hadn't found one in the condition, and price I was willing to accept. Until now.
The inside of the grips are marked only with a stamped "A". The bore is shinny, but there is some freckling in there as well, but not bad. I just can't seem to develop good bore photographing skills.
Magazine is blued with an aluminum base, marked with S/N 8300h E/63 (or possibly 83???), and no other markings.
I'm happy to have finally picked up my '36, and am happy to be able to put this several year search behind me.

I'm quite happy with it, and didn't have to pay too much of a premium for the one I wanted, high side of under $2k, but it's pretty obvious someone took some pains to try and find a period correct magazine, and so was a knowledgable collector, as also born out by its preservation...that led me to wonder if anyone here might recognize it? Now to start looking for the '39!

My collection:
http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/guns.htm
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Zamo for your post:
Unread 01-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

Hi Christian, Nice looking gun and great photos, thanks for sharing. If the mag is marked with a droop eagle, as it should be, rather than a stick eagle, than the small number can only be a 63.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
pitsword
User

Very nice, well done.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nice gun and beautiful photographs.

Although, I have never seen this particular piece before, it has some interesting features.

As you probably know, the year 1936 was one of several transitions and was the last year whose entire annual production was rust blued.

Another transition was that of the S/42 code on the toggle. Early in the 1936 production, the toggle fonts were changed from large S and closed 4 to smaller S and open 4. This earlier style font and format was used on late K-dates and all G-dates. It is surprising to see an h-block gun with this early toggle as the transition occurred early in 1936 production. There are some who believe that very few 1936 guns have this early toggle marking. Neat!!

I would really like to have a better look at your magazine. My guess is that it was made and shipped with a 1938 gun as bodies of magazines were not blued until the m-block of 1936. Thus early 1936 production were shipped with plated magazine bodies and Droop Eagle 63 acceptance marks similar to those seen on the right side of your receiver. Additionally, there was no h-block in 1937 but there was an h-block in 1938. Hence my guess.

This raises the question of your comment that the acceptance proof on the magazine might be 83. If it were a 1938 magazine as I suspect, many were accepted with a Stick Eagle 83 acceptance proof.

Sorry to be so verbose but you have an interesting piece and one of which to be proud.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Zamo
User

Spot on re: the mag - It is a stick eagle, so I think your guestimate would be correct, and it is likely an "8" Here is a pic:

Thanks for the nice comments guys. And I hadn't even noticed the font difference on the S/42, but now that you point it out it is eye catching!

My collection:
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I straight-on photo of the serial and letter suffix on the front of the frame would be interesting as well as a photo of the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Zamo
User

Ask and thee shall receive:

...and:

My collection: