LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Geo99
User

Default Charles Durning - another one gone

Another WWII vet is gone - I thought our members might like to hear about this great American. Although familiar with his acting in many movies and television, I was not aware of his wartime contributions to our nation.

Before he was an actor, he was a soldier.
Charles Durning was part of the U.S. force that landed at Omaha Beach during the D-Day invasion in June 1944. He was the only one in his army unit to survive the Normandy landing, suffering injuries to both legs as well as his chest, head and hands. He killed several Germans that day, and was bayoneted by a young soldier whom he then killed with a rock. A few days later he was shot in the hip - he said he carried the bullet in his body thereafter - and after six months of recovery was sent to the Battle of the Bulge. Four out of five men in his unit died; he was one of the 20 in his unit to come back alive from the Battle of the Bulge.

Durning, who was wounded twice more, was captured and was one of the few survivors of the Malmedy massacre when German troops opened fire on dozens of American prisoners. In addition to three Purple Heart medals for his wounds, Durning was presented the Silver Star. The war's end found him in the hospital recovering from his wounds and a mental breakdown. After the war he worked as a boxer and a dance instructor. He later went into acting after the age of 40.

At an observation of the 60th anniversary of D-Day in Washington, Durning told of the terror he felt and carnage he saw when hitting the beach on D-Day. He said he had to jettison his weapon and gear in order to swim ashore and saw mortally wounded comrades offering themselves as human shields.

Burt Reynolds, who was a frequent costar with Durning, told People Magazine in a 2005 interview: "He and my father were 15 yards apart at Normandy Beach. That was quite a night when they both realized that. I was told to go outside. I said, 'Why sir?' He says, "Because you weren't there."
Geo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
skeeter4206
User

Wow! Thats an amazing story of a true hero in my book. I totally have all the respect in the world for the those that went through these battles an survived. Being at D-Day and the battle of the bulge.

Those veterans that are still alive, everyone should br greatful of there services they did for our country and they should be appreciated for this. My hats off to them all.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

We should all last until 89. Durning was on a recent rerun of NCIS as a veteran troubled by memories of his deceased buddy. Great character actor. RIP
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Yes, I liked him as a character actor very much.

I see that Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf dies at 78
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
padredan
User

I consider my self fortunate to be able to spend time with many of our world war two veterans , There are many out there that could use some company, seek them out, you will be glad you did. the pictures are from our recent chirstmas party ,and as you can see, the community went all out to provide presents for the men.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00 104.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	30900  

Name:	00 042.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	30901  

Name:	00 031.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	30902  

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Yes, I liked him as a character actor very much.

I see that Retired Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf dies at 78

I believe that he developed Prostate Cancer, and had surgery, but they didn't get it all. I don't know if that is what ended his life or not.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote