LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-16-2002, 04:24 AM   #1
Scotty

Default Weird Luger...Help please?

Hey guys!

I'm a member of the C&R mailing list, and a fellow list member pointed me here thinking that someone here might be able to help me with a strange P.08 I have. He thought one of the experts here might recognize it

So...here's the scoop. It's a non-import, and has the original finish. The serial number on the front of the frame is in the 3000 range, witha small "f" under it. The toggle is an S/42, and has the same last two digits on it as the frame. Most of the parts are serialized, except the side plate (no number there I can find). Nothing else seems to match,and the toggle could just be a coincidence (for all I know). Safety is marked Geseichert.

The weird thing? First, the chamber was ground and polished (to remove a marking I'm guessing) and a letter G was hand-stamped there. Judging by the patina on the metal, it was done a very long time ago. Second weird thing, there are *no* proofs, Waffenampts, or other markings anywhere on it. You can see a couple scans of the pistol at the link I provided.

I'd really appreciate any information on who might have made it, what year it might have been made, or any ideas on it's origin would be greatly appreciated!

So far the best guess I've heard is that it was a "lunchbox special" put together from parts brought home from the factory. That would explain the lack of proofs. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Scott

See the Weird Luger Here!

Unread 03-16-2002, 01:56 PM   #2
unspellable
User

Default Re: Weird Luger...Help please?

The one "lunchbox special" I've seen had no numbers or markings of any kind whatsoever on it and was in the white. You have to consider, once it's numbered it's on the factory books and much more likely to be conspicuous by its absence.

It's more likely just the usual case of mismatch. The point of interest is the "G" on a ground off receiver. I can't throw any light on that.

Seems like I've never seen two Lugers alike, an oddity for a pistol made in the millions, mostly for various government contracts.

unspellable

Unread 03-16-2002, 04:15 PM   #3
treebeard
User

Scotty- Acording the book "The Luger Pistol" by Datig The G is an early Nazi era code for the year of manufacture in 1935. The S/42 was the code in that year for Mauser. So you have a Mauser manufactured Po8 made in 1935. There are others on this board that have vastly more knowledge than I who could address details of proofs and what numbers should match. Hope this helped.

Unread 03-16-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
mlm

You take great photographs, by the way. The luger appears to be a combination of parts (if mismatched parts is what you stated) and the receiver has no proofs because it is from a 1920's commercial luger. Unfortunately, that does not explain why the chamber was ground as it probably would not have had anything on it--then again, if it was a commercial from an earlier era, it might have had an American eagle on it and that was ground off. G on the chamber is only known for its use as a cypher for 1935. Could this luger have been an American Eagle model 1906 that had the eagle ground off then restamped with the date G (1935) for use in Germany? I am way out there in my speculation and can only say that with a well-used luger that has parts from many guns, anything is possible but there is no obvious interpretation.

Unread 03-16-2002, 11:37 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

The ground receiver throws me. But if it is a "G" date Luger then the toogle should have a Big "S" and a small "42" on it. The "S" should NOT be scripted. There should be military proof marks on the right side of the frame. The ususal parts should be strawed since this is would be a 1935 manufacture. The serial number should also be on the left side of the receiver just above the Locking Bolt as well as the underside of the barrel and the front of the frame. This should be enough to to tell you if you have a fake or a "shooter".

Big Norm

Unread 03-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #6
Kyrie
User

Hi Folks!

Take a close look at the chamber marking - itâ??s not the â??Gâ? of a G date Luger.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:05 AM   #7
tom h

Scotty, Kyrie is correct in that your G on the chamber is not the 1935 Gothic date code, rather the German Scriptic type of G that both Simson & DWM used (usually under a 4 or 5 pip crown on the left side of receiver) as a rework proof.

Unread 03-17-2002, 03:13 PM   #8
mlm

If you step back it appears the chamber stamp is about five stampings of teh same letter, that is, multiple weak stamps of the same thing.