LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-17-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
Fred Van Sickle

Default plastic grips for luger

Can anyone help me about the original plastic grips which Mauser used on their late production P08's. I have just purchased a 1939 S/42 with reddish brown plastic grips with a cirle moulded into the grip. They are chequered and in excellent condition. Are these original?. The pistol itself is all matching and in excellent condition.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

Fred

Unread 03-17-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: plastic grips for luger

The grips for the Mauser had a threaded place in them to hold the grips screws when tearing down the pistol. I don"t know anything about Kreighof grips, yours could be from them. Someone here will have the answer for you. I hope they are original. Good luck, as it sound like you have a nice gun.

Lonnie

Unread 03-17-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
Marvin
User

Fred,

The grips on your Luger are not original Mauser, but original East German grips for the post war reworked Lugers that the Russians alowed them to have for the E. German Police. The E. German frips were checkered and have the circle, or "bullseye" in the center. Although these are not original to the pistol, they are excellent grips!

The grips that were orignally on your pistol were fully checkered walnut. Some of the wood grips may have the last 2 digits of the serial number on the backside, and some may be blank on the back.

If you want to get back to the original, E-Bay sometimes have them up for auction, you can take a look at the "Classified" section of the Forum, and also see Tom Hellers e-mail address in the "Links & Resources" Section. Tom usually has some for sale.

The original Mauser grips were black, injection molded plastic, and had no markings on the backside. These were used by Mauser beginning somewhere in the 1941 s,t,u, suffix range. These grips were also used as replacement grips on Lugers which came into the repair facilities during the war. Hope this helps a little.

Marvin

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
Harry Parks

There is a posibility that your pistol is a postwar rebuild. Examine it carefully for an importer's stamp which could be located anywhere, even under the grips.

Unread 03-17-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
mlm

The grips you describe are not original to your pistol. The original grips on your pistol did not have the circle you describe. If someone sold the pistol to you as all factory original (aka, "matching"), they defrauded you. Otherwise, you describe a very nice luger. It has been about four years since I was at the American History Museum of the Smithsonian in Wash DC but when last there, the WW2 display included a luger intended to represent a GI souvinier from the war. It was in actuality an East German police pistol with the very grips you describe. It was prominent in the case and I often thought it would be wise to correct the display--seems an institution as fine as the Smithsonian would be more accurate than that.