LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
J.D.
User

Question Need help with a repro artillery holster

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a reproduction artillery Luger holster like the one in the pictures but being new to the world of Lugers I don't know how the straps attach to this holster & after search the web I can't find anything to tell me
The only thing I have seen is that some have a wooden shoulder stock that the top strap screws into but we can NOT have the shoulder stock here in Australia not even for display purposes which is what I want it for so the question is do I need the shoulder stock to use the shoulder straps on this holster ?????
Thanks for your help.
All the best
JD

J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Technically, yes. Without the shoulder stock there is no place for the stud that holds the holster flap shut to go. There would also be no need for the leather boot you have to the right of the photo above the straps. Both these pieces interface with the shoulder stock directly and are pointless without them.
The only suggestion I have is to secure both ends of the strap to the two loops on the back of the holster, add the ammo pouch to the strap and wear it as they did in WW1, across the body with one shoulder through the loop.
You may also want to alter the holster flap and have a stud added to it, which was done historically so is not completely out of line.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
J.D.
User

Thanks alanint,

Will do as you suggest when I get the holster.

Thanks again & all the best.

JD
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
alanint
User

Another option is to just make a long, flat board about 12" long, by 3" wide at the shaft and maybe 1" thick, shaped like a "T" that you can screw the appropriate top piece to and have the straps run through slots just like and original board stock. You could also taper the bottom of the board to fit into the boot. That way your rig could be set up like an original rig that looks more or less correct from the front and the "T" shaped board is hidden behind the holster.
An easier method would be to buy a repro board stock and simply remove the attaching iron. I don't think anybody could claim it was intended as a stock if there is no way to attach it to a pistol.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
J.D.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Another option is to just make a long, flat board about 12" long, by 3" wide at the shaft and maybe 1" thick, shaped like a "T" that you can screw the appropriate top piece to and have the straps run through slots just like and original board stock. You could also taper the bottom of the board to fit into the boot. That way your rig could be set up like an original rig that looks more or less correct from the front and the "T" shaped board is hidden behind the holster.
An easier method would be to buy a repro board stock and simply remove the attaching iron. I don't think anybody could claim it was intended as a stock if there is no way to attach it to a pistol.
Thanks for that Mate. Great idea.
All the best.
JD
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,429 Posts

An easier method would be to buy a repro board stock and simply remove the attaching iron.

There is currently one on Ebay..buy it now at 75 USD I think.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
J.D.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
An easier method would be to buy a repro board stock and simply remove the attaching iron.

There is currently one on Ebay..buy it now at 75 USD I think.
Thanks for that Jerry, I have thought of that but getting someone to ship it to me here in Australia from the US is not as easy as you would think

All the best.
Jason
Unread 07-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jason, I do ship parts to Australia and have a few Odin Int'l new stock irons (interchangable with the originals) available @$85 + $10 S&H. TH
Unread 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
alanint
User

Tom, that's the one part he cannot own in Australia. He is looking for just the board...
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
J.D.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Tom, that's the one part he cannot own in Australia. He is looking for just the board...
Thanks for that alanint, that is the problem we have here in Australia the silly gun laws & that's why I can't bring a repro holster with the stock in because Customs will seize it & I will get a visit from the Police because the import laws state I can not import "a folding, detachable, telescopic or collapsible stock"

I am just going to get the holster & then do as alanint suggested. At the moment here in Australia we are having that much gun crime that the government is cracking down & making things very hard for us licenced shooters even though it's the criminals with illegal firearms causing the problems you all know the story, so I am just trying to do the right thing & not cause myself any unwanted issues.

Lugerdoc I will keep you in mind for parts if that's OK ? Thanks for your kind offer of help it's very much appreciated. I can get most parts in from the US as I just have to get the paperwork done & some parts can just come straight through but certain parts such as the stocks there is not chance.

If one of you Guys could possibly give me the measurements of the stock as suggested I may just make one myself without the metalwork & away I go,

Thanks again Guys
All the best.
Jason
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I can help you with the exact stock dimensions. You can just cut out the outline of the shoulder stock and have no provision for the stock iron to stay within the lines where your gun laws are concerned.

PM me... and welcome to the forum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
J.D.
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
I can help you with the exact stock dimensions. You can just cut out the outline of the shoulder stock and have no provision for the stock iron to stay within the lines where your gun laws are concerned.

PM me... and welcome to the forum.
Thanks very much John,

I'll PM you soon.

All the best.
Jason