LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:49 AM   #1
Steve
User

Default Changing a Mainspring

I need to install a weaker mainspring that I bought from Wolf. The book that I have (The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly by JB Wood) is very detailed on striping a Lugeer except for this part. What is the trick to getting it out and then back in. It looks like a rod through the hole in the bottom of the rod down the middle of the spring is used to push the spring upwards. Is this the case? Then, how difficult is the thing to replace?

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:06 AM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: Changing a Mainspring

See General Information and FAQ section! Have fun and please invent some new cuss words. I change out about 3 of these a week and I can do a full change in about 5 mintues, but I remember my first attempts were measure in the hours. A good long heavy punch just big enough to go through the hole in the spring guide helps bunches. The trick is to compress the spring on the guide before you put it into the gun. I dont use the twist method of coiling the spring anymore (see text) but I simply hold the end of the spring with pliers (you must hold it parrallel to the spring axis not perpendicular to it) and push with the punch through the bottom of the spring guide so that the guide passes through the center of the spring, then hook the spring guide over the end of the spring. They say Georg Luger could change one in the dark only using one hand. I would love to see that one! Thor

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:07 AM   #3
Thor
User

I think I will do a Photo/text story some time showing all the cool moves to do this! Thor

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:27 AM   #4
Viggo G Dereng

Default Re: :D PLEASE DO

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:30 AM   #5
66mustang

Default Have Not even tried to do this! Thor would get a call!

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:30 AM   #6
Thor
User

I doubt that VIGGO, I bet with your history you could do a GEORG one hander no sweat! I took one out today! The first time I did one I wanted a BIG WHISKY afterwards, lol! It is so much fun! I just love Luger pistols!

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:31 AM   #7
Thor
User

Default Re: Have Not even tried to do this! Thor would get a call!

hahaha, thanks for the warning

Unread 03-14-2002, 02:36 AM   #8
Thor
User

Actually ol Hugh is the main spring pro, he told me when he made his first baby (Luger that is), okay fellows no wise cracks, please!! And I have to say this......delicately!!

He REMOVED the main spring MANY TIMES to get the functioning just right. He would cut the spring, try it again, As the shortening of the frame also caused shortenting of the spring and guide. I think he came up with two solutions, the first was put a spring within a spring and the second was to relieve the recess in the frame that holds the bottom end of the spring guide so that you could use a FULL SIZE spring guide. The other problem that arises is the shorter the barrel the less the OOOMPHFT!! Got it?? Yeah, right!

Unread 03-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #9
Thor
User

Amen to that, a flying main spring or guide rod REALLY could take out one of your eyes! I actually thing this is a good little project to help people. If there is enough interest I will do it! Thor

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:11 PM   #10
R. Grady/Roadkill

Recommend you look closely at the set up before removing. I use a nail set that I can get a good grip on. There is also a in and out side on the frame. Only can go back in on one side. The spring guide has to go up through the frame with the hook sideways to fit through the link then rotated to hook on. Also make sure the hook/link is down before you get the guide up through the frame, won't come down after the guide is up.

Roadkill