LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Cool Totally out of element here..???

Hey Guys.....dont throw rocks...but Ive got a question and this Forum has Always come thru for me with good advice and answers....I had the daughter of an old friend from Texas call me the other nite...and she is selling her dads gun collection.....no Lugers..(Bummer)..However there was one P-38...an AC 42...she took it to a gun dealer....and he looked it over.....anyway....supposedly its in great shape....but the barrel apparently had some corrosive ammo fired in it from the GI who brought it back....and wasn't cleaned...so the condition of the barrel is a little "foggy"...the Dealer...(who I finally talked to)..said was OK..???....but not the best..??..the problem here is that he wants to buy it for his shop....so he's probably not being totally straight with his description to me....maybe he is...dont know......SO...finally to my question.....IF....I do wind up getting this AC 42 P-38...and its in good shape but the barrel is Crap....can it be rebarreled like can be done with a Luger with not too much problem.?....I know I will then have a shooter but this doesn't bother me......I appreciate your input on this......Thanks....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
padredan
User

p 38's barrels are alot easier to change than the lugers. in the shotgun news june 10 2012 volume 66 issue 17 ,reid coffield covers the gunsmitthing of the p38 and p1's , i think you may find it helpfull.
Unread 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

In many cases a barrel that has some minor (frosted / dark) corrosion will shoot just fine and it isn't an issue. My 1943 vintage Garand rifle has a slightly corroded barrel, and it is a tack driver. Just needs extra cleaning attention.

I suspect that the dealer is looking for reasons to talk down the value of the P.38.

If it's all matching and in good finish condition it would be collectable and hold most of it's value.

The P.38's barrel/chamber assembly is easy to remove. The barrel and the locking bolt (in the white in this picture) are precision fit to the receiver.

Postino recently posted some articles about relining P.38 barrels for the .30 Luger caliber. (see post #10 in http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...highlight=p.38

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC3396s.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	27348  

Unread 06-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Marc is very correct in his assessment. Do not be in a hurry to change out an original barrel until you have shot it. Lots of Lugers with lousy barrels are deadly accurate.
Unread 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

A P38 will never be a tack driver anyway so swapping out a barrel, which is numbered to the gun is a waste of money. Although P38 values are climbing quickly, I don't think I would spend the money to reline a barrel.

What did this dealer say it was worth?
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts

Dealer had to find something wrong to buy it for less than actual value..

Frosted? That makes no difference to me. Sure everyone would like to see a 100% lands and grooves barrel but what are the chances of that?

My favorite 9MM Luger shooter has an original sewer pipe barrel and keyholes but puts em all on paper at 25 yards and won't jam. I wouldn't change a thing even if I could.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
hansfischer007
User

Smile AC 42 Value

The Dealer told my friend that the retail for the Pistol was $800.00 and he was going to offer her $500.00 less 15%...( I have no clue why he tacked that on)....so essentially he was going to give her less than $500.00.........and per her opinion.....its a Beautiful pistol...in good shape.......Im going to delay my Texas trip due to the hot weather......I had heart surgery over a year ago...not supposed to be out when its over 85.....its 108 here now........so.....Im thinking of just calling her up .....offering $500.00 and take a chance.......you guys give me good advice and I appreciate it........Danke.....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I always think of P-38's as $800 guns. Probably a bit more these days. Holsters, matching mags, condition all effect that one way or the other. But the frosted bore thing shouldn't deter you, as the others have already stated.
Grab it fast. Everyone should have one...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Back in 9/20/2009, I bought an all-matching AC41 VoPo refurb for $400 on GunBroker...I'm sure some parts were force-matched, and some new parts added, but it was dipped [not buffed] and looks and shoots great.

$800 sounds too much...

As for relining, I did some in 7.65 Luger; I haven''t tried a 9mm liner (doing it my way) but I believe some real gunsmiths do...

Exchanging barrel/locking blocks is fairly simple...Clearance/headspace/frame fit is not too hard...A little grinding here, a little chamber cutting there...and Viola! [That's French]
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post: