LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-28-2002, 12:46 PM   #1
Skookum
User

Default Berlin Polizei P-08, What do I have?

Hello,

I'm confused about a Luger that I have: all matching (incl. mag.) DWM, 8765 i. A table in Still Weimar book (p.15) indicates a 1921 mfg date. My confusion comes with the standard imperial C/letter Heer inspection stamps and test proof on the left side of the rcvr in the normal imperial heer locations. I would have expected the Weimar doves or eagles for a 1921 pistol. Yes?

The pistol is ser #'d as a military pistol as noted above. Additionally, it has a C/B (Imperial?) marking on the side plate and the sear is depot stamped E/HZa.... Toggle also has the Imperial Heer test proof in the usual location.

The bbl has what Still says is a Berlin polizei acceptance mark of FTP/E and the piece came with a Berlin shutzpolizei (S.B.) marked holster. It also has the polizei sear safety.

On the right side of the receiver, partially ground off prior to finishing is the "GERMANY" commercial export stamp.

It appears that this is an amalgam of commercial, military, Imperial, Weimar, and polezei.

Can anyone give a likely explanation of the life that this P-08 led?

Thanks

Unread 02-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Berlin Polizei P-08, What do I have?

Skookum,

Sounds like you have a pistol with quite a history!

First, is there a date stamped on the receiver; probably not from your description. This Luger sounds like a WWI Imperial Luger made before or during WWI ( if you have Still's "Imperial Lugers" book,see if you can find this same S/N suffix during that time frame for DWM manufacture and you should find the year it was made). This pistol was a WWI Luger, reworked during the Weimar Era by DWM (?) to a commercial pistol (take a look for a commercial Crown/N stamp on the receiver or frame), then diverted to the Police where is was probably reworked again with the addition of the sear safety and a new barrel replaced at some point by the Berlin Police School/Armory.

The E/HZa, is I think, a military stamp during the late Weimar/Early Nazi Era for Military pistols. It goes to show that Germany did not waste any of their pistols!

This pistol sounds like it was used in WWI, Weimar Era, Nazi Era military and the Police. Wow, what a history on this pistol. These have not attained a high degree of collectibility, but I think they are great collectibles.

Marvin