LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Delkal
New User

Default When is a "shooter" too nice to shoot?

I have a 1916 DWM, all matching, easily 98%, original finish with excellent grips with sharp checkering. The internals are mint............Unfortunately it is marked "Made in Germany" and has an UNMARKED .30 cal barrel.

I know a lot of Lugers were imported after WWI and many were rebarreled, but why would they use (or even find) a mint WWI pistol and rebarrel it in the 1920's. Was this done before exporting (or later by Bubba).

Here's a hypothetical question.........What would you do with a "mint" shooter?

Last edited by Delkal; 05-16-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Delkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

It's hard to say when the rebarrelling was done. Both Stoeger & Pacific Arms Corp offered your choice of calibers (7.65 or 9mm) and barrel lengths from 95 to 600mm (24"). These new barrels would have been unnumbered, but usually "Germany" marked. This pistol would probably not fit my definition of a "shooter, being one that if you had to replace a part or scratched the finish, it would not apprecable lower the value of your luger. TH
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

that is an interesting question

Normally I would say, that you are welcome to shoot it, if you can afford to lose the value if something breaks / in other words, if losing half (or more) the value does not make you upset ....

With this one, I would say, it depends on if the rest of the gun and the barrel bluing seems to match, but as Tom says, the germany and the caliber lean towards a simple commercial sale of a war time gun.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Delkal
New User

Thanks for the input, not shooting it was where I was leaning. The reason I asked is that I wasn't sure how much a period rebarrel devalued the pistol. If breaking another part would further decrease the value I will not risk it.

The barrel is unmarked but the pistol is stamped "Made in Germany" on the side of the frame by the barrel. The stamp is silver in the indentations indicating it was stamped after it was blued. I do not see any signs of the pistol being reblued. Looking closely the barrel is a slight shade darker than the rest of the pistol. Like they took a almost new pistol and rebarreled it to "improve" it.

Anyone know what happened to the big box of take off barrels? I would like to look through it
Delkal is offline   Reply With Quote