LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
OSURifleman
New User

Default New to the board and a Luger

Hey fellas. I am new to the board and I am learning a lot about this awesome firearm. Like so many others, I have gotten into so many other firearms, but never owned the one I've always wanted since a kid growing up watching the movies and reading WWII history.

I found something and I thought I would throw it out there. While picking up a modern black rifle (.50 Beowulf), I laid my hands on an old war horse on the bottom shelf of one of the counters. I have put it back for a small down payment, but not sure what to make of it. I haven't been able to take pictures of it yet, but thought I'd do my best to describe it. Pictures though, as soon as I sign the adoption papers...

It's 1938 Mauser Luger, serial # L5338. All visible numbers match, but there are some oddities...

The toggle is a DWM toggle, which through this forum, I understand is incorrect for the pistol, but the last 2 digits for the pistol are stamped on the toggle, behind the DWM stamp. Could this have been performed by...?

There are no German Military Waffenampts on the pistol. There are two very, very small acceptance stamps under the barrel - one of which might be an eagle over an "N"? Could that be? They are REALLY small. Small enough you would have to magnify them to make 'em out. What could that be?

The rifling in the barrel looks great. Actually, the guys at the gun shop were quite amazed at the condition of the rifling. The barrel is marked "L" 338. The lower, or what might be called the receiver is stamped 5338 with what looks like a "L" under the serial #.

Blueing is nearly gone. The wood grips are in great shape, but worn. Don't know if they match the serial #.

The magazine is interesting... a little rough, silver in color. Stamped with an fxo and a waffenampt eagle with 37 below it. Plastic bottom on the mag, marked 5338, but no additional marks.

I know, she's a shooter, maybe more? Asking price is $550 and as I said, I put a small amount down to hold it and eventually buy it. I have always wanted one and no matter, what I would get, I'd have to shoot it a few times...

What do you guys think, so far? Any help, comments and or concerns would be greatly appreciated!

-OSURifleman
OSURifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSURifleman View Post
Asking price is $550...What do you guys think...
Buy it buy it buy it...Hiya hiya hiya...

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
rivieraranch
User

The magazine alone is probably worth $100.00 to $150.00.
rivieraranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

You say the bluing is nearly gone...Do you mean there is a brownish patina over most of the pistol??? Many [me included] prefer this coloring on an antique pistol...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Some questions...

Is it in 9mm Luger or .30 Luger caliber?

Will they guarantee that it is a good shooter?

Is it a rebarrel? (Can you see the witness mark on the barrel / receiver mating surface, and does it line up? )

Do you believe it's a Mauser because "1938" is stamped on the receiver over the chamber?

Is there a Mauser "hump" on the back of the receiver ears?

Clearly, photos will help. Perhaps the dealer will permit them while you're waiting..

Marc
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I think for $550 that it doesn't matter much, you can get about that or more in the parts alone....

Ed
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I think for $550 that it doesn't matter much, you can get about that or more in the parts alone....

Ed
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
OSURifleman
New User

Mrerick - I will try to answer your questions:

It is a 9mm Luger and unfortunetly, they will not guarantee it's a shooter. I looked at the witness mark, and I am almost 100% sure, it was a dead nuts match / line up, so I would guess it's the original barrel.

As for why I think it might be a Mauser made model, I read somewhere within this site, DWM was not producing Lugers after 1936? That only Mauser was in production in 1938? Another indicator is I saw a small part marked S/42, just above the side block - really small...

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Mauser hump" on the back of the receiver ears, but the back spine of the grip has been milled (?) with a protusion for a butt stock. Standard?

I'll try to stop and get some pics with my BB. It generally takes some nice pictures...

With out the waffenamts, could this have been a commercial model? Looking at the markings just below the barrel, I'd swear I see a extremely small mark of an eagle over an "N". Just thinking out loud...
OSURifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

On Mauser receiver frames, the rear side of the "ears" are not flat. It's got a slightly rounded bump.

This Luger is a mix of parts from different eras. That makes it a "shooter" Luger.

If they won't warrant it works well, you could end up with some repair costs if everything isn't right.

If it's import marked, it could have been reworked by the GDR. There are several characteristics that can be recognized if this was done.

So.... cavaet emptor. $550 is a good price for a shooter if it works properly.

Marc
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Mauser "hump"
Attached Images

Unread 02-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #11
MFC
User

Hi Jeff,
Eagle/N is a commercial firing proof. The original toggle probably had a Mauser Banner logo. Classified as a 1938 Mauser Banner commercial.