LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Rich Cape Cod
New User

Default P-08 question?

As you can see this is my first post. A friend brought over to my home today a P-08 he was given by someone who stated he somehow came into possession of this handgun during the Nuremberg Trials. At any rate he was curious as to what he had and its value, so I figured I'd ask folks who actually know something about such handguns!

Thanks,

Rich

He also has a leather military holster (which I did not have to take photos of). I noted that the magazine with the gun does not have the same serial number at the pistol.

Rich
Rich Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Hugo Borchardt
User

Rich:

Welcome to the forum!!! Looks like a nice Mauser G-date S/42 Luger. The "G" represents the year 1935, during which Hitler was continuing secret German rearming in violation of the Versailles treaty. The "G" code kept the date secret.

I don't specialize in late WWII/Nazi lugers, but am certain some of the experts here will be able to tell you if it is early, mid or late acceptance marks which may affect the value.

What is the full serial #, which should be on the front of the frame below the barrel and above the front of the trigger guard. It likely has one of the script letters "a" through "f" below it that we may need as well for further evaluation.

Thanks!!!

Clark

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Assuming that all numbers match except the mag. and that the holster is decent, authentic, etc, I'll ball park it at $2k, give or take $500 depending on what side of the counter you are standing on. Tough times for getting top dollar, but that gun looks very nice, and the year makes it a bit more attractive.
But like Clark, it's not my area so let's see what the other guys have to say.
Very nice and welcome.
How about a few more pictures of the gun AND holster. Any accompanying documents or verifiable history?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Rich Cape Cod
New User

Dave:

I no longer have the pistol at my home. I've seen the holster (many years ago) but don't have that piece either or I'd have posted a photo (much better then a description). There is some more to the story. I'll have to ask my friend again so I don't screw up the known facts.

Thanks,

Rich
Unread 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Provenance of the "facts" are important when the facts are related to the historical significance of a collectible firearm. Without indisputable documentation...

(such as official capture papers, or published news stories related to the surrender of the gun in question, or sworn affidavits from the original veteran owner)

... to back up the story, it is just a "story" and would have no bearing on the collectability or value of the Luger.

All that said, It is a very nice "G" date Luger and would be a welcome addition to anyone's collection, with or without a "story" to go with it.

Welcome to the Lugerforum, and please share any news or additional information you receive on this Luger pistol.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Rich Cape Cod
New User

Will do John.

Rich
Unread 01-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

I can't quite make out the proofs on the right of the receiver, but I think that this is one of the earlier variations.

Nice collectible Luger!

Marc
Unread 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Rich Cape Cod
New User

Marc:

Your wish is my command!

For you photo guys out there. I'm using a Canon 40D. Shooting RAW, ISO 100, 6.3 1/4. Lens is my 50mm 1.8 (cheap but good!). No light box, just rigged up a light above the item with the camera hanging upside down on a tripod. Used a Canon manual shutter.

Oh, I used Canon's Digital Photo Professional for my post processing.

Rich
Unread 01-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
EricW
User

Nice G date luger Rich. It's the 3'rd variation of 6 variations of the G date luger... see Frank's sticky... http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=22680

#9876 should have an "a", "b", or "c" suffix for this variation... script letter at the front of frame below the serial number as Clark mentions.

If the gun has one or both matching mags that adds value. To be matching, the mag bottom would have the same serial #, suffix, and droop wing eagle 154 proof. A matching second mag, in addition, would have a "+" sign on the mag bottom. IF the gun has both original matching mags, and the rest of the gun is all matching inside and out and all is correct, then you're probably somewhere around $3500 just for the gun.

I'm sure the real experts here will add/correct as necessary.
I'm looking for a D suffix DE154 G Date mag. The closer to #457d the better
PM me if you have one you are willing to sell, trade, or if you have a lead
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote