LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 01-22-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
tom collins

Default who do ya trust?

if you had to name one guy to trust to sell you a luger, who would that be? yourself not included.

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Default Re: who do ya trust?

Ralph Shattuck!! Make sure he looks it over himself first. Some consignments need to be looked at by him.

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #3
Heinz
User

I have bought one, That was from Tom Armstrong who treated me very well and sold me a gun better than he described it. I would also buy from Tom Heller, who told me he did not have exactly what I wanted. Don't get anymore honest than either of them.

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:10 PM   #4
Kyrie
User

Hi Tom,

Ralph Shattuck. Give him a call and tell him what you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
Thor
User

Ralph Shattuck IMO, but for a shooter you might have to look around a bit. Watch out for DEEEEEEEPP Import marking on the bottom of the barrel, those always were a safety concern with me. Some of them are TOOO darn deep IMO! ~Thor~

Unread 01-22-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

If you are talking "Collector Grade" Luger, I would go with Ralph Shattuck. Shooter grade Lugers the field widens out a bit, there's not so much at stake.

Dok

Unread 01-22-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
REB

Ralph Shattuck and Tom Heller are my choices.

Regards

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:10 PM   #8
tom
User

Dealt with LOADS if not all the full time dealers. Have experiences with some that were highly satisfactory; with others not so great. An occasional attempt at defrauding me from a few *gentlemen*...at least one of which follows this list.

Bottom line: I trust folks I know who are doing this for a hobby. They don't have overhead, margins to make, and generally are far more willing to discuss a "problem" rather than hang their hat on some legalities.

But my most trusted Luger guy is my best friend, fellow Navy Afficinado and Comrade in Arms, Derek Seltzer of Kennesaw Ga. He and I were introduced by a third party via the net and telephone. After we discovered we had been to some of the same fire-fights in Viet Nam and had served in Korea at Beautiful Down Town Camp Humphries, we soon began to ship immense quantities of Lugers back and forth.

Bear in mind, I had never actually laid eyes on this guy...

At one time, I think he must have had more than $10K worth of my Lugers and never a dollar changed hands...we still don't get into writing checks until one of us is strapped for cash for a new acquisition or we do our annual balancing of the books routine, normally before a major show we are attending in the BUYING mode.

We formed a partnership and have worked together for the last 5 years. We jointly put together a display for the Kansas City Show where we featured about 30 Navy Lugers as well as the accoutrements, personal effects and histories of the sailors who carried them from 1904 until 1945. It was a smashing success.

Today, we are still partners working together and have achieved some great things that no single individual could have accomplished. We have also become business partners in a new company that is introducing some proprietary technology into the American market place.

I would enclose a pic of our combined collection but I have it on CD ROM and apparently cannot be uploaded to this.

So, Derek, here's to you, my Jewish Bro, from Fongo D. Goyem..Mazel tov! A man could not trust another more.

Tom

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Having had many business dealings with both Tom and Derek I can vouch for what Tom says. I can say this much about trusting some of the greats in the luger collecting field. Look for someone who does not rely totally on making a sale to pay the overhead. I have been cheated(twice) by someone I never thought would do it untill I looked back at what they had invested and realized that lugers were not the main thing on their mind...it was money. Bob Simpson in Ill. has a reputation as an honest businessman and knows as much about Lugers as most.I do not believe many people will log onto the Luger Forum and name names of those who have cheated them. Jerry Burney

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:39 PM   #10
Dan Clemons
User

Ralph Shattuck, IMPHATICALLY!

Dan

Unread 01-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
tom h

I delt with almost all of the people listed in our "Links and Resources" section and find them to be of good charater. Perhaps the most important thing that you can do is to be sure that they know exactly what you are looking for and that you have no strings inspection and return privledges. I know years ago, when I was starting out as a dealer, I bought many lugers, sometimes 10 at a time, from both Shattuck & Simpson. and some times had to return a few, but never failed to get a refund or a suitable exchange. In these cases, because I didn't ask the right question in advance. Tom h

Unread 01-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #12
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Another vote for Ralph Shattuck, Bob Simpson, and Tom Heller!

TIM

Unread 01-23-2002, 11:04 AM   #13
Jim Van Eldik
User

How do you contact him?

Unread 01-23-2002, 11:07 AM   #14
Jim Van Eldik
User

And how do you contact Mr. Seltzer?

Unread 01-23-2002, 12:50 PM   #15
Thor
User

Default Re: Contact Info for Vendors

See Ralph and other vendor contact info in the Links & Resources Section of this Site (access it by left menu

). Check out the entire site, there is a lot to offer beyond the message board. ~Thor~

Unread 01-24-2002, 12:14 AM   #16
Dan Clemons
User

Default Re: I was remiss not to mention Tom Heller..

Even though I have only purchased a magazine from Tom, he has earned my respect and admiration. He and I have had some email communications regarding 6" barrels and I was impressed with his willingness to help solve my problem and his honesty. Tom is a most valuable resource!

Dan Clemons

Unread 01-24-2002, 07:22 AM   #17
Luke
User

Default Re: I was remiss not to mention Tom Heller..

Having had several transactions and conversations with Tom Heller, I can agree with Dan. I have found him honest, straightforward, and helpful.

Luke

Unread 01-26-2002, 02:59 AM   #18
Big Norm
RIP

I really don't trust anybody who makes his living on straight commission. But for a guy who occasionally looks on this forum to see what is happening and is totally honest I would nominate Joseph Smith. He is the son of Doug Smith of F.G.S. fame. Joe does not collect guns but he often helps his dad at gun shows. He is a good Luger guy but not great one. But because he has worked with his dad for so long, he has picked up a lot of knowledge in spite of the fact that he isn't a gun collector. If Joe does not know something he will tell you that he does not know. If he does not know the answer then he knows the right people to go to to get the answer. He does not have the ego problem that would require him to fake his ability. It takes a big man to say "I don't know, but I'll find out". Besides, he is a real nice guy.

Big Norm