LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
In my earlier days, I have tried the 110gr type of the Speer plinker and the Sierra fmj carbine bullets...I felt the carbine type bullets were too long/heavy.
I have not had any problems with the 30 Carbine 110 gr FMJ bullets. The extra length does not seem to affect accuracy or function. As for the weight, I made up a fixture to hold bullets so that they could be drilled. I use a 1/8" drill and adjust my depth to get the weight I want. Fixture & bullets in pic below.

I also made cartridges from .223 Remington [new] brass. The pic shows a stripper clip of 30 Mauser cartridges for my M30 Broomhandle, made from .223 brass and 110 gr bullets drilled out to 93 gr.

There was some speculation when I first tried this (back in the '70's; that's why that stripper clip of cartridges looks so old) that the drilled bullets would expand before passing through the cartridge shoulder, or that the .223 brass would bulge...Neither happened. I used a light target load of 5.0 grs of AL-5 (no longer available, I believe) with the 110 gr FMJ drilled down to 95 (or 93) grs...Same drilled bullet with 5.5 grs of AL-5 was a pretty good shooter...

This was with 30 Mauser in an M30 Broomhandle...I'm still experimenting with the 30 Luger loads/drilled bullets...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30_bullets.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	16398  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I have not had any problems with the 30 Carbine 110 gr FMJ bullets. The extra length does not seem to affect accuracy or function. As for the weight, I made up a fixture to hold bullets so that they could be drilled. I use a 1/8" drill and adjust my depth to get the weight I want. Fixture & bullets in pic below.

I also made cartridges from .223 Remington [new] brass. The pic shows a stripper clip of 30 Mauser cartridges for my M30 Broomhandle, made from .223 brass and 110 gr bullets drilled out to 93 gr.

There was some speculation when I first tried this (back in the '70's; that's why that stripper clip of cartridges looks so old) that the drilled bullets would expand before passing through the cartridge shoulder, or that the .223 brass would bulge...Neither happened. I used a light target load of 5.0 grs of AL-5 (no longer available, I believe) with the 110 gr FMJ drilled down to 95 (or 93) grs...Same drilled bullet with 5.5 grs of AL-5 was a pretty good shooter...

This was with 30 Mauser in an M30 Broomhandle...I'm still experimenting with the 30 Luger loads/drilled bullets...
Hi:

Brilliant!!

This just proves again that necessity is the mother of invention!

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote