LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
TomIAm
User

Default M30 Broom Firing Pin Pbms

I just bought a M-30 Broom, which a previous owner has had relined and chambered to .38 ACP (Note NOT .380 ACP)! I replaced the recoil and main spring with a Wolff kit and cleaned and lubed it. I noticed that the forward portion of the firing pin was slightly bent, so I carefully tapped it straight, and reassembled the weapon with the old firing pin spring. I pulled the bullets from a box of .38 Super ammo (exact same dimensions as a .38 ACP, but much hotter load), and reloaded the cases with 5.1 gr of Unique under a 115 gr Montana Gold JRN at an OAL of 1.260 in. So far, so good.
It shot OK, but jammed often, due I think, to a worn extractor. While the primers were only slightly flattened, they did have a very large dent in them, far deeper than it should be (they were not blown through, nor was there any sign of leakage around the primer). The firing pin also bent again slightly.
So, will someone please tell me how to properly fit a firing pin spring? How far should the pin protrude when pressed forward? The original spring seems to have been filed where it screws onto the firing pin, that is, the cross-section of the spring wire for the first 1/8 inch or so isn't round, it's been slightly flattened. Is that correct? Should I just shorten the firing pin? HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FP Indents.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	15202  

Name:	FP Protrusion.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	15203  

Name:	FP and Spring.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	15204  

Name:	021.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	15205  

Name:	New Caliber.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	15206  

Name:	M30 Broom.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	15207  

TomIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tom,

There is indeed a significant difference between the apparent length of your firing pin and the one in my C-96. My spring is flattended in a similar manner in order to screw into the firing pin. I suggest that the firing pin is too long - either custom made or aftermarket or who knows. I could be wrong: the only C-96 I have detailed knowledge about is the one I own, an imperial marked 9mm "Red 9."

I suggest the bent firing pin that bent a second time supports the theory that it is too long - hence the deep primer marks. Also perhaps significant that it bent and did not break? (this should be a hardened part). You might try a new firing pin from Lugerdoc. I would measure my firing pin but cannot easily remove the spring - it is kind of forged to the pin. Perhaps a real expert will chime in or you could ask Lugerdoc for firing pin OAL. Good luck, this sounds like a fun shooter. KFS

Post Script Edit: I notice that the nose of the firing pin is flattened - further evidence that it is 1). too long, and 2.) not hardended. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #3
TomIAm
User

Thanks for your help, Karl. You've echoed my thoughts on the firing pin being too long. I did not know or think about the FP being hardened, mine certainly is not. Unless someone comes up with more info in the next couple of days, I'll check with Lugerdoc for a FP as well as an extractor.
Tom
TomIAm is offline   Reply With Quote