LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
sxtsvnstang
User

Default did anyone else see that really cheap luger on gunsamerica this morning?

it was just posted, i get the email everyday of the new posts on gunsamerica. at 6:15 this morning i checked my mail when i got into work, and this luger was listed as all matching numbers. but a refinish. its seems like a nice gun. and it was already sold.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/992325417...ng_Numbers.htm

this is the link. so my question, in everyones opininon, was should i have checked my email earlier for a better chance of getting a total steal on a great find, or did some one else jump get taken. what is everybody's opinion? could it really be a decent luger, with all matching parts for an unbelievable price, or could it possible be "fake matching parts" meaning its a mixed parts gun, but welded up all the numbers, and restamped. i still dont know enough about how to tell about a guns refinishing in the past to know how accurate it is. then again, its just a gun shop who sells guns. hes got this old luger laying around and isnt any sort of collector and just wants to sell and old handgun, hence the price.

my first thought was, i dont know that much yet about lugers, but i i definitely know i have not seen a numbers matching luger for less then 3 or 4 times what hes asking. this has to be an unbelievable find i bet someone on the forum is the one who scooped it up this fast. if thats the case, if whoever got it, let me know how it is when you get it in.
sxtsvnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Good deals come along. Usally a nice, matching, but surprise to me gun is probably a bit mroe, $700-$800; but I have seen / heard of tottally correct guns selling for this recently.

Gun shop takes it in as a consignment, has had it for a while or as trade and has $350 into it, so....

Point is, that deals come along and it doesn't do you any good thinking, damn, I should have...

I came across a Costanzo a few years ago for $40; resold it for $225; knowing I was letting it go to another member for a good price; but also figured I was making a good deal for myself.

You just never know...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
sxtsvnstang
User

your definitely right, theres never any use in thinking that way. some thing are just meant to be. who knows, i could have woken up 15 minutes earlier, and spent $600 then this afternoon find out my wife needs 4 new tires or something. when the time comes for a good deal to fall in you lap, it will. everyone gets his turn at some point.
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,441 Times in 2,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxtsvnstang View Post
... but i i definitely know i have not seen a numbers matching luger for less then 3 or 4 times what hes asking...
...???$1800 to $2400???...

I don't know where you live, or if it's just GunsAmerica you're referring to...but while ~$600 is on the low side, it's definitely ballpark...Yes, on GB, it'd probably fetch ~$800, and at local gun shows (Western/Central New York), the dreamers would be asking ~$1200 to $1500, but I don't think this is ridiculously cheap...

IMHO, this comes under the heading of "a good deal"...IF the bore is good...

Edit: I'm taking a close look at the images...and that grip frame serial number looks odd (to me, anyway)...the font is more English style than my S/42...and the chamber hood has been worked over...with scratches evident...sharp edges buffed away...pics always emphasize scratches, but there seem to be a lot, all over...I do like the fact that he posted lots of big pics...not much hidden here...

Definitely a $600 Luger...

Last edited by sheepherder; 10-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
sxtsvnstang
User

ah, im glad you pointed out those little things, see, im still very much learning. this especially shows how a less then perfect refinishing can really destroy the value of a good matching numbers luger. (i guess being a matching numbers luger really doesnt mean that much if its not one right, just like one of the other forum topics was discussing)
ya, i am in new hampshire, and though we are all very much gun nuts here, the lugers are much harder to come by. i am in several gunshops every month, and i have only actually seen one luger for sale. it was a 1917 DWM. it had all but one numbers matching (sideplate was wrong) the barrel and receiver were reblued (but edges were still sharp) and they wanted 1750 for it. i guess in my neighborhood, lugers are just fetching much more. (actually one of the old timer gun guys i talk to said it might have to do with alot of new england based soldiers fought more so on the japanese side of the war, so luger bringback especially are hard to get. actually, now that i think of it, it is much easier to get nambu pistols and arisaka rifles around here then its is any german weapons, (besides k98's. im constantly tripping over them) so he may be on to something there.

ps i was rounded down (it was in the $500's) putting it at 1500 to 2000 around here. (like it said, it was 6:15 in the morning) haha
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
...actually one of the old timer gun guys i talk to said it might have to do with alot of new england based soldiers fought more so on the japanese side of the war...

You must mean "in the Japanese theater of the war"...

What's a Type 14 Nambu w/Winter trigger guard go for there???
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
sxtsvnstang
User

by winter trigger guard, do you mean the larger trigger guard, to fit a gloved finger into it? (ive only called them small or large trigger guards) i usually see them for $400 or $500. if you want a damn near perfect one, i saw one once that was all original, 98% finish for $1000, was really nice, gone the next time i was there though.

its funny you mention it being the "Japanese Theater" the old guy i was talking about always says how he likes going to the theater with his wife, its fun. but theres nothing fun about going to war so he doesnt get why they call it the theater. so he calls them the various "hells" of ww2. hes 92 and hangs out in a certain gun shop every sunday morning to have coffee and shoot the ****. he always says "theres that german hell they had, and the japanese hell they had". but i was in the "paradise hell", on an island drinking home made rum under a palm tree with my trusty garand, that was only fired at coconuts and the occasional seagull, just waiting around for nothing, until iwo jima happened" apparently he just missed every major battle there for 3 years bouncing him around islands to clean up after battles till they sent him to iwo jima where he actually fought, that part he doesnt talk about.
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
sxtsvnstang
User

so i dont know if the price is better here or if i just see them more then lugers
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
by winter trigger guard, do you mean the larger trigger guard, to fit a gloved finger into it? (ive only called them small or large trigger guards)...
Here's one of each...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nambu_T14sm.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	8913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nambu_T14lg.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	8914  

Unread 10-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
sxtsvnstang
User

yup, those would them. i didnt realize it was specifically for winter. i had only noticed that, on the tags of the gun, at stores and what not, they listed usually "type 14 nambu, jap, large t.g. or small t.g. then the price" i actually noticed the different trigger guards on my own, then just put two and two together that the t.g. must have meant trigger guard. they are pretty neat guns though, i should probably add a few to my collection. are those yours? or just pictures you found online? oh, and i know this thread got way off topic, so sorry to anyone who wasnt expecting japanese talk. hehe
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
yup, those would them. i didnt realize it was specifically for winter. i had only noticed that, on the tags of the gun, at stores and what not, they listed usually "type 14 nambu, jap, large t.g. or small t.g. then the price" i actually noticed the different trigger guards on my own, then just put two and two together that the t.g. must have meant trigger guard. they are pretty neat guns though, i should probably add a few to my collection. are those yours? or just pictures you found online? oh, and i know this thread got way off topic, so sorry to anyone who wasnt expecting japanese talk. hehe
Just leeched from GB, not mine...I would like one eventually, but making the cases is a PITA...never mind finding 8mm bullets...and when you actually hold one, you wonder how a race that small could ever adopt a pistol that large...

The US Marine Corps/3rd Mar Div conducts cold weather training on Mt Fuji in Japan, so the Japanese were/are quite familiar with cold weather...Not to mention their various wars with China, Korea, Russia...It gets cold up in them parts...
Unread 12-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #12
Alx
User

If its any consolation, IMHO the Luger in the GA ad was buffed and refinished. The number on the sideplate is almost ground down, and the frame flat next to it shows buffing also.
The stamps on the barrel extension left side are obviously ground down, almost to obliterate.
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote