LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
BradC34
User

Default Holy Parabellum Batman!

First post here. I've looked around before because I've always had a huge fascination with Lugers. I even considered buying a used .22lr Luger at Gander Mtn. just so I could get my Luger fix, though I've heard some bad things about them (like they don't auto reload very well).

I did however recently discover that my grandad has a P.08 Luger. Twenty-one years and it never came up in conversation. I guess he always though I was more interested in baseball so we never really talked guns. He actually mentioned it kind of coyly after my mom wanted me to show him my Beretta 92FS I carry for CCW. Said "I have a 9 mm Luger... Parabellum..." I wasn't sure what to say at first, thinking he was just mixed up and the gun he had fired the 9 mm Luger round. Turns out it was a 1941 byf Black Widow Luger. He got it from his father in law who got it as collateral for a loan a long time ago. Apparently the guy never paid the loan because now my grandad has it along with an original holster. I'm trying to get him to let me shoot it. It's definitely a shooter cause he's had it out with other family a bit more than a month ago. I'm lobbying for heirloom status. I'd love nothing more than to pass that on to my son someday. It is the single most historic device I have ever held in my hands.

And now for the reason I decided to post in the first place. I was watching The League of Extaordinary Gentleman and the Dorian Gray character pulled a gold-plated artillery Luger and dropped a few rounds into a sailor. I actually stopped, rewound the movie (DVR for the win), and watched it again just to enjoy it. My first response was "I want one." haha

Sorry for the long first post. Just wanted to introduce myself and my connection to Lugers before I started getting gushy over a gun in LXG.
BradC34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

There is something magnetic about Lugers. Far more than just about any other guns, actually more than any that I can think of right now, maybe excepting Thompson SMG's, which few will ever get to enjoy.
Well anyway, welcome and don't think you're too weird with your new facination. Well maybe, but you have lots of company here...
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Ice
User

Brad, welcome to the forum. Lugers are mysterious, sexy and graceful just like a beautiful woman. They are addictive too. Hope you can strike a deal with your Granddad for the byf 41.

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Just because your grandad shot the gun does not mean it is a "shooter" by a collector's definition.

It may be an all-matching, collectable pistol that just happens to be shot occasionaly.

Have a close look at it and get advice from this forum. You may end up recommending that it not be shot again!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
BradC34
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Just because your grandad shot the gun does not mean it is a "shooter" by a collector's definition.

It may be an all-matching, collectable pistol that just happens to be shot occasionaly.

Have a close look at it and get advice from this forum. You may end up recommending that it not be shot again!
That's what I'm afraid of. It very well could be a
collector and then I know I won't want to shoot it.
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Well look at the bright side. If it is too collectable nice to shoot you'll have a reason to buy another one.
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
BradC34
User

Well I'm back. I finally got to see the gun again and get some alone time with it. What follows is a copy and paste of something I posted on another message board. Just thought I would share here too.

Quote:
Finally got some hands on time with the Luger. Here's a fancy photo to hold yall over. I'll have more shortly.

Still wish I had a better camera. Just a simple Cannon PowerShot. Will be getting a dSLR next week so it just depends on timing if I can get some higher quality photos.

I have dismantled and inspected the gun. More on that later also.

ETA: Ok here's the rest of my photos along with some thoughts.

I've gone over the gun and I think every part has the same number with the exception of the grips, which have no number (I thought they were) and the magazine, which based on my research here and at LugerForum.com is a late war replacement. The magazine has a chip out of the aluminum base. I believe the grips to be original because of the whole "Black Widow" thing. The trigger cover plate has a different number on the inside than the outside, so I don't know if that means anything. I would say the finish is in the 80-90% range, but maybe I'm being a little optimistic. The grips are in really good condition with the exception of the missing numbers. You can see the four digit S/N in the pictures. The gun has the Nazi eagle markings fitting for a 41 byf.

The holster appears to be original. It has the Nazi Eagle on it and a '41 date, which is the same as the gun.

Anyways here are the pictures... (I just cleaned and oiled the baby real good so realize that the photos are pre-cleaning. Considering my grandad actually shoots it on occasion, it had surprisingly little carbon fouling. Almost none in the barrel and a little around the firing mechanism and ejector. Most of the flaws were rust based, which I tried to curb with CLP.)

Right side

Left side

Luger with my M1942 U.S. Paratrooper jacket (too bad the camera didn't catch the blood flecks on my jacket... that's a different story... that doesn't include killing anybody...)

Markings on underside of barrel

Markings on the back of the holster

Markings under magazine

Chip in magazine base

Closeup of left side markings

Closeup of right side markings (the eagles are pretty worn which is disheartening, but the wear is consistent with the rest of the holster wear.)
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
MFC
User

Brad,
The number on the inside of the sideplate should be (34). The first two numbers of the serial#33 + 1= (34).
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
wdavid431
User

Nice looking pistol. This could easily be a very good "collectable." The byf 41 Black Widow is a very highly desirable Luger and is valued very high in dollars and worth. For history benefits, I think it is exceptional.
You might try to get a parts Luger or Russian capture for shooting (9mm 115 Winchester white box) and give this old warrior an honored rest.
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Mauser720
User

Is the safety bar numbered "24"?
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Brad, The finish on your 41BYF appear original and the BW grips should be unnumbered. As mentioned above, the number inside your side plate, SHOULD be one digit off from the FIRST 2 digits of your serial. Your rear pinned mag is an earlier WW2 Mauser PO8 mag. Ideally, a nice black plastic bottomed FXO marked mag, would be correct and complete your rig. Thank your Grand Pa, for not modifing his trophy all these years. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
BradC34
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser720 View Post
Is the safety bar numbered "24"?
No, it's 14.

As for the other comments, yes the inside number is 34.

Thank you for all the comments. Hopefully he'll be able to take good care of it over the next several years. I'll have to inform him of his prize.
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Brad
Your faded eagles are very common. For some reason many of these were not very deeply stamped. Nice luger. Bill
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Went Blakely
User

That's a purdy pistol mate, definately keep a keen eye on that one! Any more insight on the jump jacket, sounds like an interesting piece to say the least
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
BradC34
User

I guess I should explain the jump jacket since it's not near as exciting as yall might think.

It's just a replica. I used to wear it all the time and one time I cut myself by accident which put some blood splatters on it. Added a little character.

But yeah, not really that interesting.
Unread 09-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Went Blakely
User

Hehehe here i was thinking it was this really fascinating vintage story, and jacket, handed down through the generations