LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
sxtsvnstang
User

Default where to find parts for a build

Hello,

I am new to the luger thing, but not the gun thing. I like collecting and especially tinkering in gunsmithing and building. I would really love to buy a great original luger p08 in 9mm, but i just dont have the money. (i just got married, only 23 years old) I will most definitely add real lugers to my collection later on when i can afford them but for now i would like to build one.

I find that by building guns i get to enjoy the style of the weapon, and especially get to know it inside and out, literally. (the nicest part of building guns is that i get to avoid the huge costs. I know its blasphemy in this forum but I just build a colt 1911 from original 1944 WW2 colt government parts and i only spent $312. If i bought the same gun, a 1944 Colt M1911 A1 govt. the cheapest i could find was around $1200 and it wasn't in good shape.) Granted, it's numbers don't match and what not, but when i have money later, ill invest in a real one.

but anyways. I would like to do this with a luger. They are just such awesome guns with great history that i would like one in my collection. But the problem is. I cant find the parts to build one anywhere. I have seen Popperts Guns, and they have listed every part to buy, but he said they actually have very few parts and it wouldn't be worth it for me to buy 3 springs and a couple of pins today, then in six months buy the trigger, and MAYBE next December he will have a frame for me, etc. because that's how slowly he actually gets parts in.

Is there anywhere that i can get parts for a luger p08 where it wont take me 10 years to accrue 47 or so parts to actually build one? (by then ill have enough to just buy a nice one)

Another option is if anyone has parts or really even a really junky old one that isn't any value to them that i could get the parts off?

I mean, there has to be somewhere to buy parts. I know there are alot of people who jut collect them, but i know there are also alot of people to shoot regularly with them, and when parts wear out or break, they need to repair them. (i know it seems crazy for people to not care of the collectability but they are out there. My friend has an original mauser broom handle, and shoots it every weekend, and is constantly machining replacement parts.
Could It be a situation where i would need to find blue prints and machine my own from scratch?
Any help you guys can give me would be unbelievably appreciated. ( ive spent months agonizing over late night google dates trying to figure this out)
sxtsvnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts

Hi,

Well, the basic reason why the luger has been out of production for quite a while is in fact the difficulty to produce it. The number of machine steps and the tolerances involved make it a bit of a night mare.

This will also be the main problem with a 'serious parts gun'. A lot of fitting could be required in order to get it to work properly, and the differences in machining and steel types between manufacturers (DWM/Mauser, Waffenfabrik Bern, etc..) also create their share of problems.

Several German companies are producing new spare parts from scratch nowadays, but finding someone to machine a frame, for example, will be difficult.

Add to that, that the separate luger parts are worth more than a complete parts gun. That is why guns got parted out in the first place. So creating a parts gun from individual parts may cost more than a decent 'shooter grade' luger. So try to find a workable frame/barrel-receiver combo as a basis, or a dipped Russian surplus one.

A hint: Take a look at chromed lugers. They lost their collector value, are relatively cheap as a result and sometimes a nice luger lies hidden beneath the fender chrome.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
sxtsvnstang
User

Thanks for the good advice. I hadn't thought of chromed lugers. I have read several places that they really lose their value when people chrome them so i didnt give a thought into that direction. With some mild finish work and rebuilding, a chromed luger could become a decent blued shooter. The tolerances and fitting work are part of the fun of building though. I know its odd but theres nothing like swearing are your mill on a Saturday afternoon Haha thanks
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Tom, something to keep in mind; parts are more expensive than colt parts, and onc eyou start to build one up, it usually costs more than if you bought a joe blow shooter.

Luger Doc here on teh forum has most parts.

A bunch of early 1906 parts were for sale on ebay last night.

Auction arms has a guy named XXXXX XXXXXXX (my mind is blank, he insists on no pictures, but by gum can find any numbered part you need, so rumours are that he restamps them). No one I know has been happy with buying from him. Gunbroker has lots of parts.

I myself have enough parts to build 2 lugers plus, some of the parts I have are 1's and 2's and others I have 10-15 of but no matter what, you're will pay more this way than buying a shooter.

Advantage to putting together parts is that you can buy some here or there cheaper, than buy a few more later and it doesn't "seem" as expensive...

A nickle plated or chromed is not that easy to take the chrome or nickle off, or folks would do it....

Welcome to the forum!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
sxtsvnstang
User

Ya, i see your point. its does seem like less salt in the wound if you pay 1200 over 3 months than if you pay 1000 in one minute. as for cleaning off chrome and nickel, when you have the right tools and materials, and a little patience, its not too bad. (the colt slide whas heavily polished and nickel it was incredibly flambouyant, but the serial number put it as government issue 1944, and underneath was a nice war worn blue. ) I think building isnt the best option for me then, id love to look at other possibilities.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to find a "shooter" and what i should be paying for it. I have looked at gunsamerica and gun broker and it seems that they have many great quality collector guns but not really any shooters(or ones that i would pay that much money just for a shooter) there are also several chrome and nickel plated lugers that, from what you all have said, and what i have read, the people offering them dont know that they are actually worth much less because they are more expensive then the original blue guns im seeing. On other random forums i've seen people say that 600-800 is an average shooter cost but i cant find any lugers even close to that price. Is that an accurate number?

thank you very much to the help im getting. Im looking forward to being able to finally fuel my new addiction.
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Quickly check out the for sale section here. Tom Heller (Lugerdoc) has just posted a Russian dipper for $700.
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default parts and such....

Hello, where do you live?? i have some parts available... and others come along from time to time.. i might be able to get you started out on a rebuild.. best to you, til...lat'r...GT my email is: gctomeks@msn.com if you're interested drop me a note..
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
sxtsvnstang
User

Default going to start a build

So I took GT up on the offer of parts and we are working together on the side to come up with a nice gun. I cant wait to get going, and i will post some pictures of the progress!
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

See what parts you still need, I have enough to build a couple of lugers ;>)

weimar_lugers@verizon.net
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default Luger re-birth!

Hello to all! Well, I dug thru my spare stuff, and one thing for sure, it's going to be a mongrol ... Some of the parts are reblued Mauser, some East German spares, some DWM, and some .. I can't really tell where they're from???...... But, they are, (with the exception of reproduction grips and mag bottom !) all original and servicable parts, and with a little tender effort.. a new "shoot'n'Luger"should be a real possibility! And, we're under the price bar so far... I'll let sxtsvnstang continue where I left off, when he receives his "bucket'O'parts! They went out today!!! Best to all, til....lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #11
sxtsvnstang
User

ya, im looking forward to getting them. The frame should be here today, GT and I have come up with what seem to be a good refinishing plan for how the gun will look when its done. I think once i get the parts and get going, i will start a new thread, instead of "where to get parts" itll be a "got the parts watch the progress" i am really looking forward to getting going on this and fuel my new addiction. Thanks you all for the help and tidbits of info youve offered me.