LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts
Default How about this market?

Sure seems to me like people are really hurting for money right now. Calls come in with Lugers to sell at reasonable prices, and very little seems to be moving on the auction sites.
Some pistols I bought at what I thought was a very safe price, that are now looking like break-evens at best.
Tough market, very tough.
Any comments?
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

The high end guns are still doing VERY well; buy only the very best and you will almost always do well.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Tom:
If you refer to the super rare or otherwise special, I could not argue because I don't follow all of the "odd-balls". My point is that an all matching (excepting the magazine) service pistol with 80-95% bluing aren't moving unless they are given away. And I am seeing more and more collectors trying to sell off their duplicate or less desirable pieces, be it out of desperation or to generate funds to pick up some bargains.
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts

David, I agree. Things sell, but a year a go or a bit more, a 1915 for example innice shape, I'd have expected it to go for $1500, but getting that now is very hard unless it is really nice...

Problem is, the average joe blow still thinks every luger is valuable. There is a joker on gunbroker right now that has a 1915 (?) DWM that appears reblued to me, and he has a buyit now for $3400... But then I've always seen some amazing prices on gunbroker, that the guys never get; it just keeps getting relisted. If gunbroker charged $1 each time, that would limit those guys....

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

David is right on this, as is all who posted here......I have perhaps 35+ police guns and all very nice and correct, but can't get a decent price for 'em.......all safe queens right now.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
alvin
User

If demand/supply is balanced, why would guns rise a lot in value. Only when demand is bigger than supply, say, many new collectors join the camp, guns will rise in price. In this economy condition, few people would start a new hobby. Coincidentally, now is also a generation change period, WWII veterans are passing away, and the supply to the market is increasing.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote