LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
jetteraf
User

Default Good news/Bad news

So, examining the Luger that I purchased from this thread the good news is that the finish appears to be about 98%, is not in the interior of the frame, and in the right light, it shows evidence of oxidation and browning that are normally invisible to the naked eye. Not having held a piece in this nice of a condition before, I do have some questions.

When were the various stamps applied during the manufacturing process? The marks are crisp and halos are present on the barrel s/n, and many of the individually numbered parts, but but other parts look like they were stamped before final polishing. The eagle markings on the breach block and barrel, and the chamber date particularly look like they have been polished over.

The finish is somewhat satin in character with evidence of brush or file marks in some places, such as the sides of the receiver ears where you normally see machine marks. The only parts I would call polished are the strawed pieces. There is the occasional little dent or "dimple" like that seen in my first thread in various places under the finish. A new Kel-Tec I have had similar marks. I always thought it looked like they let the parts rattle around in boxes before assembly, and they picked up some dings.

The bad news is that it has a "million dollar chip" that has been reglued. It's very hard to spot with the grips on the gun, but back doesn't line up quite so well. So, how much does this devalue the gun?
jetteraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Still I must say a little high, and now with a poor repair chip, just not the bargin one would hope for.....on the other hand if you like the gun, money is not really that big a deal....enjoy and don't worry over it.....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Some folks will tell you that the million dollar chip will cost you $50 or more in a sale.

I prefer them NOT chipped, but for goodness sakes; jeezzzzz. In other words, its just a chip and not that noticible and if yours is fixed, that much the better....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
policeluger
RIP

I'm with Ed here...
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

We collect military rifles with dimples, gouges etc with no problem but let a luger have a chipped grip and look out. Come on guys these lugers are old, used by the military and many built in wartime conditions. Let them look used since they were. Bill