LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
usmc69
User

Default S/42 1938 Commercial??

I have posted this on other boards, but thought I'd post it here also. My main reason to post this here is I think it may be a commercial model. Being a Newbie to Luger's, am feeling kind of befuddled. Any and all answers are greatfully appreciated.

Picked up an S/42 Luger today. Not sure why..... It has been nickled. All matching parts, the S/N is XX92 and all the parts I can see are marked 92. The chamber is dated 1938. On the right side of the receiver near the chamber is an eagle over an 63. The grips have a 2 digit number on the insides that is either a 75 or a 92 not really sure which it is.

The magazine is marked P.08 on the lower left side to the rear. Also above the gripping recesses is an eagle over 37 below a fxo on the front edge of the lower left side. Up towards the feed lip on the left side is another eagle over a 37. Mag is blued.

The gun is all matching. There is a 92 on all the parts I see, which is the end of the serial number of the gun on the front of the frame below the barrel. Is there a website with pictures to compare it to?

All of the NAZI era guns I have owned are marked with a Eagle over a Swastika. This one is an Eagle over the 63, why? Is this a a commercial gun? The eagle sort of looks like a line drawing (stick figure)over the 63. The Blue Books mentions commercial pieces dated 1938. Guess this is a whole new world for me to explore.

The grips are almost a black color. They appear to be original. What color are they supposed to be?

The nickle I can live with. After all the price was reasonable. Wouldn't mind having it blued as that is more the proper look. However, it would still be a restored piece. Cost? Website for the restorer? Other that a abomination shooter what have I got? Paid $400 for it. Screwed up or not? Wanted a shooter....
usmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

S42 is the code for mauser, which is a military marking, in addition, the 1938 was for military also. the eagle 63 is a the army acceptance.

the military (nor commericial banner lugers) were never made in nickle.

I would pick up a nickle luger and figure it is worth $550 or so as a shooter piece.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post: