LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
dacfan
New User

Default Where have the shooter/projects gone?

First off, new to the forum. I am finding a wealth of info here. My question may be silly, but in the past I have found slightly neglected, badly re-blued, mismatched, etc. shooters with minor pitting but ok bores for $400-$500 at gun shows and online and now can't find any at all. I shouldn't have sold the clunkers I had, but do decent shooters that aren't really of any collector value still exist? I have seen one or two from recent auctions that went low for various reasons, but I always miss out when the auctions occur. In my opinion, these firearms are art and not range guns, but I prefer rough examples I can go shoot and not feel bad about breaking a pin or wearing out a spring. Any advise?

To rack is human, to toggle is divine
dacfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Ice
User

I have found reblued/mismatched shooters at the gunshows and for sale by individuals FTF. Usually they run in the $500 range with the nicer ones up to maybe $700. You just have to be at the right place at the right time and be ready to bargain. I like the gunshows because I can personally examine the gun.

Welcome to the forum!

Charlie
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
dacfan
New User

Thanks for the reply. I have had several in the past. One looked like it was coated in cosmoline then sprayed with krylon. It shot high, but only had minor issues every 40 or 50 rounds, and I put a lot through it. For a gun in it's shape, I call that flawless. I have been to three shows over the last few months and the cheapest haggle price I could find on mismatched rusty stuff was around $900. Most shows around here have the same dealers over and over so that's the way it works. I need to find an online auction or one somebody has gathering dust in the back of a safe. Most I see on gunbroker, etc. are of better quality than I require. I must learn the virtue of patience. For now I'm stuck a' shootin' an Erma .380 that looks like it might blow up in my hand, but at least it has a toggle.
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

A lot of older "cosmetically challenged" firearms have been broken up into parts and sold separately. Numrich, Sarco, Gunbroker all list Luger parts that came from pistols that may not have been worth much as a whole but are commanding big bucks as spare/replacement parts.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts

I have bought a couple of nickled lugers for $450 - $550, but very seldom in the last 2 or 3 years spent less than $500 and usually $600 for a shooter that is reblued and mismatched and that was for me to use as trade material / sell...

So, point is, except for a few "deals / really beat to heck", I haven't seen shooters (even in the condition you describe) for the last 5 years at shows.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
dacfan
New User

Thank you all for your info and input. Perhaps I should look for a nickel "for show" gun. I have seen some in the last few years that were plated and sold for much lower prices. I suppose electroplating destroys collector value. And as previously mentioned, as parts become scarce, I can see sacrificing to keep these beutiful machines alive. Thanks so much for the input gentlemen. I'll put about $600 aside and maybe I can find what I'm looking for.