LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
calibrator
User

Default Need advice on Trommel Mag and Loader

Hello, I need some advice about my next possible purchase. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2nd design TM08, Dust Cover and Loader from a local source. The asking price is lower than I normally see these items priced on Simpsons or the other dealers. I have a return guarantee if not happy. Both the TM08 and Loader are marked B/N. These items look to be in extremely good condition, especially the Loader. The owner (who is very Luger savvy) feels that this Loader was refinished after capture in something called "British Black". I have also read on this forum that some TM08's had their capacity limited for political reasons in certain countries. I also know that Loaders are being reproduced. My question are : (1) Are there benchmarks to determine if a Loader is a repro other than condition and finish i.e. markings or machining features? (2) Are there external clues to tell if a TM08 has been modified for less capacity? (3) What would an EXPERT collector look at initially in my position. THANK YOU for your attention.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

"TM08's had their capacity limited for political reasons in certain countries".

Hi Joe,

While I'm not an expert on Trommel magazines. It sounds like you are being sold a bill of goods.

Never heard of "British Black". The British used a form of black paint on their military weapons, similar to "Stove Black". Repro loaders are often painted rather than blued. The repro loaders are selling for around $350-$500 new, and might be worth having if you should ever find an original Trommel magazine.

As far as limited mag capacity. I have never heard this either. Most countries with restrictions on mag capacity, ban ownership completely or require that they be completely deactivated.

There are/were repro Trommel magazines made in China or Japan that are nothing more than an 8 round magazine fitted to a reproduction Trommel style drum. This sounds like one of those repros. Is there a serial number on the drum?

From what you have stated, I wouldn't waste my time or my money on the magazine, unless it's just for display and cheap.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

Hands on inspection or, lacking that, good photos are needed to make a call. I have seen TM's whose load capacity was restricted by a small cut in the feed tube of the magazine. This may have been done in Canada.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Joe,

There you go. George could be considered the resident expert on Artillery Lugers and their accessories. I stand corrected.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
calibrator
User

Thank You Ron and Goerge for your prompt responses. I won't see these pieces again until Sunday and will post pictures after that during my inspection period. I wasn't aware that there were repro TM08's. I do recall that the mag did not look like a conventional 8rd unit with an add-on. So I assume that if it holds ~32rds it is most likely an original. My biggest concern is with the Loader. Do the repros have the B/N makers mark in the same manner as the originals? Any other input is most welcome!!! Joe
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Mauser720
User

Joe -

Yes - the reproduction loaders can and do have the B/N makers mark too.

Mauser720 - Ron
Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The better repro loaders are B/N marked and very difficult to tell from the originals. TH