LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-21-2001, 10:36 AM   #1
Rich D

Default Final thought on Artillery Rebuild

OK guys you made your point very well, and have scared the pants off me about rebuilding a Luger into an Artillery model, my final thought and question is, would it be legal to make an Artillery Luger and shoot it, as long as I never attach it to the shoulder stock?

Unread 11-21-2001, 10:58 AM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Final thought on Artillery Rebuild

I believe that would be OK.

Unread 11-21-2001, 11:24 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Dok's right (it happens :D frequently)

The criminal act is in assembling the shoulder stock to an non-exempted short barreled pistol to creat the SBR. My recommendation would be to get yourself a Luger frame (try Tom Heller...) that doesn't have a shoulder stock lug and use the lugged frame for another shooter... and save that stock for the legitimate artillery model you will someday buy.

Best to you Rich... Happy Thanksgiving!

-JS

Unread 11-21-2001, 11:39 AM   #4
Thor
User

Default Re: Dok's right (it happens :D frequently)

Another Thought! When the next generation owns that "Arty" and they attach a shoulder stock to it, without knowledge of what transpired to put that 8" barrel on it, that MIGHT be a problem but who knows what the rules will be then! THOR

Unread 11-21-2001, 11:56 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Default Re: I called the ATF

I have called an ATF office from time to time and gotten advice from an agent. It is not as good as John's suggestion about a ruling but you can glean some useful information that way. The last time was about a shoulder stocked Iver Johnson Game Getter in .22 and .410 as to the legality of this as a legal weapon with or without a shoulder stock since you see quite a few of them at gun shows .They had the opinion that as long as you had one and were not aware of the extreame legality of the configuration they would have a lenient view. Such as you inherited it from your deceased grandfather. However if you were trying to circumvent the law and were aware of what you were trying to get away with that would be a different matter. I agree with all of the members who are telling you what seems to me to be great advice. Look before you leap. Jerry

Unread 11-21-2001, 12:07 PM   #6
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Final thought on Artillery Rebuild

Hi Rich,

Yes sir, it would

Problems only crop up when a stock is attached to a non-exempt firearm.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 11-21-2001, 01:52 PM   #7
Johnny Peppers
User

Jerry,

Marbles made the Game Getter, and it came in different barrel lengths. Some are the legal 16" and some are not. I would not put a lot of stock in what one BATF agent advised in regards to being ignorant of the law. At best the weapon would probably be confiscated, and at worst you could become a new agents trophy.

At one time someone was making barrels for the Game Getters to make them legal length.

Unread 11-21-2001, 03:16 PM   #8
Kyrie
User

Hi Johnny,

Good news - the Marblesâ?? Game Getter was exempted from the NFA some years ago, and are legal (at least at the Federal level) regardless of barrel length.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 11-21-2001, 09:30 PM   #9
Steve
User

I would think that in a situation as serious as this, I would not call the BATF. I would write them so I would have their responce in writting and KEEP it. It might not exempt you from prosicution but it would certainly give the prosecuter pause because he (she) would then have to admitt that an agent for the government lied and gave you bad advice.

Unread 11-21-2001, 09:58 PM   #10
Johnny Peppers
User

Friend of mine collects the Colt pocket pistols. He had found a variation of the Model 1908 that he needed, but the dealer would not ship it on my friends C&R. My friend ask the dealer to get in touch with his nearest ATF office, and sure enough the person he talked with told him the pistol could not be shipped to C&R. Being persistent, my friend called the ATF office and spoke with the same person that had advised the dealer that the pistol could not be shipped. My friend had the page number and paragraph ready and after looking at the page my friend indicated, the ATF agent relented and said it was OK.

As Steve said, a letter is much better than a telephone conversation.

Unread 11-22-2001, 12:08 AM   #11
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I agree with all said concerning this subject, the only thing I was trying to point out was this agent's lenient attitude. I don't think all the folks at the ATF are monsters and certainly one opinion by an agent by phone does not constitute the letter of the law. Should it ever go to court. Just an interesting experience I thought I would pass along. Jerry

Unread 11-22-2001, 01:13 AM   #12
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Calling the ATF

I would rather pet a rattlesnake than have anything to do with the ATF.

Their technical office is great...and very knoweldgable folks work there.....but the field agents don't know S___ about guns or their own regs.

They used to bring guns [like an M1 carbine] into a local shop and ask if it was a machine gun?...When they were told 'no', they would say...."Gee...it looks like one?"

Talk to anyone from the FBI or InterPol and they are not impressed at all with them.

Unread 11-22-2001, 01:26 AM   #13
BILL
User

Default Re: Calling the ATF

Just my thoughts, but I think that both the IRS and the BATF are both pretty far down the list of people that I want to ask for advice. Since they both tend to find ways to justify their jobs it seems like the less you deal with them the better off you will be. The Ruby Ridge incident is still too fresh in my mind to think about asking them for any help. One other bit of advice..if the IRS ever knocks on your door and says "We are here to help you.." grab your jacket because you are probably going away for awhile.

Unread 11-22-2001, 02:23 AM   #14
The shadow Knows!

Default Re: Calling the ATF

Remember, the ATF is part of the IRS!!!

Unread 11-22-2001, 01:05 PM   #15
Dok
RIP

Default Re: Calling the IRS

Bill wrote:

One other bit of advice..if the IRS ever knocks on your door and says "We are here to help you.." grab your jacket because you are probably going away for awhile.

I think a better course of action might be to bend over, grab your ankles, and kiss your sorry ass GOODBYE.

Unread 11-22-2001, 02:50 PM   #16
Thor
User

Jerry, my agent here is also extremely willing to help. I was impressed with all my dealings wtih the ATF, but I am really a newbie in this areana. Thor

Unread 11-22-2001, 09:12 PM   #17
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: PARANOIA WILL DISTROYA ,EOM (EOM)