LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Conny
User

Default 1920 Commercial Artillery Stock

I don't know if this is the right section to post this but I have a question about this stock.

It is listed for sale as a 1920 Commercial Artillery Stock which I need to complete my 1920 Commercial Artiller Luger set. How can you tell if this is true? It is made of walnut with no number or anything else on it.

On a different subject (why start another post), what type magazine should my Luger have being a Commercial Artillery type?

Thank you for your comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	li-1022.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	3355  

Unread 11-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
tenbears
User

I think you are ok on the stock although I'm not that versed on commercial artillery's. On the magazine it should have a unmarked wood base or import mark Made In Germany.
tenbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

If the stock is not marked "GERMANY" I would discount it being a 1920's commercial. It certainly looks like a good stock in that it appears to be made of European walnut and the steel to wood fit looks good.

There are far too many of these unused so called "commercial" stocks floating around the US for me to accept their being interwar commercials. I know that several years ago when visiting a Luger dealer in Arizona I asked about an artillery stock and he reached into a box and pulled out one of many in the box just like yours. At the time he said that they came from old German goods sold to Norway or Finland.

Since that time I have gotten wind of a possibility that they were all made in a tiny principality in Europe during the 60's. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter story.

One thing worthy of note about these so called commercial stocks is that they are always crisp and new with no patina at all to the wood and that they always have unused but freshly tapped guide holes for the attaching leather screws.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Conny
User

Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I'll continue searching for a commercial stock with import mark of Germany and 3 wood base magazines unmarked or Germany marked. Thanks again.