LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 11-05-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
Jack E. Warren

Default 1921 DWM

Just purchased the subject Luger. Now I need help on just what I have. The frame is stamped 1921. The toggle is DWM. The serial number is 6250 with a letter (a) under it. All parts have the matching number 50. The serial number is on the under side of the barrel with the number a8,84 under it. There is a very small eagle type stamp on the top of the barrel near the frame. There are two eagle type stamps on the right side of the frame with a smaller type eagle next to them. They are all near the barrel.

The strawing is nearly gone but the bluing is about 85 pecent. The grips are excellent. The stock lug is in place. The magazine is stainless and has a wooden bottom. There are letters and numbers stamped on the front grip area. The first set of letters and numbers have been stamped over with the letter (X). They are S.B.O.II. 3.19. The new set of letters to replace those Xed out are S.B. 13769.

The bore is bright and shiney, no rust or pits. I paid $550.00 for it and plan to have the strawing redone by Ted.

Would anyone who knows what I have please comment. Thanks to Dok for refering me to this Forum and to Ted for the work he did on my Reising Pistol.

Unread 11-05-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
Thor
User

Default Re: 1921 DWM

Jack, with the bluing at 85% and a potentially original pistol, you might NOT want to restraw it! Even though you only paid $550 for it, it MIGHT be worth more than that and restrawing would certainly not increase it value, and may even lessen it! Does this gun have a sear safety? Sounds like a Weimar Police gun to me. ~Thor~

Unread 11-05-2001, 01:46 PM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Re: 1921 DWM Police Collectible...

If indeed it is a collectible as Thor suggests, any restoration you do will end its life as a collectible. You should think carefully about that decision.

Dok

Unread 11-05-2001, 02:26 PM   #4
bill m
User

Default Re: 1921 DWM

Hi,

You have what is called a 1921 Police Luger. These are in there own serial number range and are found in the no suffix, a, or b blocks. Your gun was made in 1921 and was issued to the police -- as the S.B. 13769 indicates -- S. (Schutzpolizie, municipal police force) -- B. (Berlin)-- and 13769 is the weapon number. So it translates as Municipal Police Force in the city or Berlin, weapon number 13769. About 45,000 of this variation was produced with dates of either 1920 or 1921. They were issued with police magazines numbered 1, 2, or 3 and a police holster.

Unread 11-05-2001, 03:06 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Default NICE GOING

Nice going! I agree with the others. I would not retouch the Luger. I thought about trying for it. But I thought that I would give old Jack a shot at it. Really though, I thought that it would go for more money. You made a good buy.

Big Norm

Unread 11-05-2001, 10:50 PM   #6
Joe
User

Default Re: 1921 DWM unit mark

Very interesting police unit mark that has been Xed out on the grip. I checked all of my references, but was unable to find anything that indicated what unit S.B.O. was. The "O" may have been a special unit within the Berlin Police Dept. that was eliminated in some reorganization of that agency.

I agree with the guys that posted above, do not restraw this Luger, as you will ruin it's collectable value. You got an excellent deal on this weapon, take care of it.

Unread 11-05-2001, 11:14 PM   #7
bill m
User

Hi,

S.B.O.II.3.19 translates something like:

Municipal Police, Berlin, Ost group, weapon 19, of the 3rd unit within Command II

This may not be 100% correct, but it is close.

Unread 11-06-2001, 01:11 PM   #8
Jack E. Warren

To all of you......Thor,Dok, bill m, BIG NORM, Joe. Thank you very much for the help and infromation. I will take your advise and I will get me local gunshop owner who has a digital camera to take a picture of it and forward it to me so I can forward it to all of you.

Thanks again,

Semper Fi,

Jack