LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Levallois
User

Default 5-inch barrel Luger shooter out there?

A real Luger newbie here - I finally need to get that Luger that is missing from my collection. From reading this and other forums, shooting a collectable Luger is a no-no. I've got a couple of problems here - First, I shoot all my guns - even the old ones - and second I LOVE the look of the 1900 models with their 5-inch barrels much better than either the later 4-inchers or the 6 inchers. Are there 1900 models that come along that have been modified to an extent that they become non-collectable shooters or are these just too rare? Or is there another Luger model that I am unfamiliar with that has the 5-inch barrel that could be considered to be a shooter? Thank you for your time.

I should add that it has been about three years since my last "I need to get a luger" craving that iIexpressed on this forum - you guys were great back then and very helpful but I ran into some rough times and never was able to follow through. Now I'm back where I think I can afford one of these but my cravings have changed from a 6-inch to 5 inch barrel.

John
Levallois is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi John,

Welcome back. I don't know about a 1900, but there are quite a few Finnish 08s floating around with the Finnish replaced 5" Tikka barrels. Relatively inexpensive and in good shootable condition. Most have excellent bores.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Levallois
User

Ron,

I appreciate the reply. Sounds like these Finnish Lugers are exactly what I'm looking for. I did a quick search and found three on the WWW for between $995 and $1100. Does this sound about right for a price range?

Thanks again.

John
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

yup. I like the 5 inch size too, although the 6 inch is my favorite with the 8 inch a close 2nd and is a blast to shoot too.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Levallois
User

Ed,

I wouldn't be adverse to a 6-inch barrel shooter if one were to fall in my lap at the right price. Thanks.

John
Unread 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #6
MFC
User

John,
M1900s have 4 3/4" barrels and are 30 cal. The 30 cal. M1906s also have 4 3/4" barrels. There are several other later models also that are the same. You can find these "mismatched and or reblued" quite often on the auction sites. The M1906 would be in your price range for a shooter. The M1900s even mismatched and reblued, tend to go for more. If you really want a 5" barrel and 9mm, as Ron suggested, the Finnish is the way to go.
Mike C.
Unread 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Levallois
User

Mike,

I appreciate the advice. I've been reading through this forum over the last several days and have been looking at the auction sites and I really do like the 1900 and 1906 models best with the 4 3/4 inch barrel and the grip safety. I actually need to fondle one of these in person before I decide 100 percent.

As far as getting a shooter, I wonder if you even found a M1900 mismatched or reblued for a "decent price" if you could/should shoot it? Does the flat spring break all that often and if it does is there no repair/replacement available? Are other parts interchangeable with the later models if one does break?

The 1906 models are probably a better choice and probably more "shootable" if I can find one that isn't collectable. Is there anything else I should consider about these models before I begin seriously looking?

I want to thank everyone who replied - as usual you guys really helped.

John
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
MFC
User

John,
One thing you might consider is the price of shooting a 30 cal. compared to a 9mm. ... big difference. There are after market flat main springs and other parts available if needed. Post what you want in the "Want to Buy" section. You'll probably get a better deal from another forum member.
Mike C.
Unread 04-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Levallois
User

Thanks Mike,

I posted in WTB.

As far as the expense of 7.65 ammo goes, I plan to reload. But I guess there is a problem getting the correct size bullets? - I need to look into this.

If the M1900 or M1906 shooter doesn't seem like a viable (read relatively inexpensive) option, I will fall back on the 5-Inch Tikka barreled Finns in 9mm.

John
Unread 04-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Levallois
User

Default GOT ONE

Well, thanks to a forum member I snagged a refinished 1900 AE with replaced grips and extractor for a reasonable price. This was exactly what I was looking for - a shooter 1900! I want to thank all who responded to this topic!

John