LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default 1911 Erfurt question?

There is a nice looking 1911 Erfurt at auction on Gun Borker ( item # 96009195). Seeing that this is the 1st year of the Erfurt ( many thanks to Dwight Gruber for his great chamber date list!), should I let it's refinishing dissuade me into looking for maybe for another 1911 that may not be a nice, but of original finish? I'm not sure how often a 1911 Erfurt shows up, but it looks to be a nice to have the 1st year Erfurt built. OK guys, my GB ID is RED BARON, so if I'm the high bidder, no bidding againist me!! JUST KIDDING!!!! A 1910 DWM would make a starting pair.
Thanks for your thoughts, Bill
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Bill
For me I rather have a 75% original finish than a refinished one. To me it is only a pretty shooter. It seems that refinished lugers are becoming more popular every day. It's just difficult for us old collectors to understand. If a luger is rare and hard to find or fills a space in your collection and the price is right a refinished luger would work while you hope to find something better. Bill
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Actually if you want a "starting" DWM you would need to go for a 1908 First Issue which doesn't have a chamber date. That is a good looking Erfurt and nicely restored. If it doesn't go too much higher it would make a decent "place holder" until a minty original comes along (which will cost you dearly!).
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Jasta2
User

Maybe to answer Bills "old collector" and pretty shooter" statement,Yes, it's Ron's "cost you dearly" that bothers me. I am much to late to get into the "minty" field of Luger collecting. As with Model A Fords, which I am fond of, the day of the $1000 Model A is long gone. Any complete unrestored Model A roadster, running or not, can bring near $10K, properly restored $20+ and way up. At least with Model As (most any old car I guess), a proper restoration will increase it's value. Not so with Lugers, maybe unless it's a very poor matching piece, then "correctly" done.
I am weighing having a "very" small collection of Lugers if I stay in the 95%+ finish range, or a much larger collection in the 75% range. So it seems as if a well done refinish might fit in. As long as the Luger is completely matching as originaly made, but not of a true "collector quaility" grade, I cannot see the harm. It's still a original Luger, as built,except it's finish. You "old collectors" have long ago aquired the nicer Lugers. Us new guys would need quite a bank roll to come close to your collections. Then again, I guess that would be true in most any field of collecting.
Tks,Bill
Unread 04-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Bill Mostly by old collector I meant my age. Lugers have always been expensive in relation to other firearms. When they were fairly reasonable I to couldn't afford them. If you are looking for an investment as well as a collection I still feel you are better off with a lesser grade original than a refinish. It seems that the good refinished lugers are also expensive. I have a couple refinished luger in my small collection and they fit fine for me.If I could do it again I would have some lesser grades in their place. Whatever you do happy collecting. Bill
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Ron Smith
User

Bill "Jasta 2",

If you don't have an aversion to restored pieces? It's a nice looking Luger and seems well done.

And as Ron stated, if the price doesn't get too high. Even restored and shooter grade Lugers are getting expensive. However, Bill Lyon's point is good too.

There , I've done my best wishy-washy, waffle post to date. After all is said and done, it's in the eye of the beholder...

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mr. Smith, nice job of fence sitting. I hope you can find someone to assist in getting the slivers out of your backside!!

Your OLD, and I mean OLD, Friend
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
paradox998
User

Hello Bill:

I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but I think that since the 1911 is in Canada, that an import mark will be added to gun. From what I have seen it is often under the trigger plate and does not show. Maybe someone else can confirm if this is correct. For what it is worth, I know someone who paid a little over $1800 for a 1911 with matching magazine several months ago. Good luck
paradox998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Jasta2
User

GOOD POINT! Does the Lugers from Canada have a import mark? How does it change the value?
Tks,Bill
Unread 04-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Ron Smith
User

Hey Frank,

It took me awhile, but I finally took the bull by the horns, put my foot down and stood my ground with a firm.... maybe.

How ya been?

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Legally, the firm that would serve as importer of a Luger from Canada would be required to stamp their identification into the gun... some importers sometimes skip this step... rare but it reportedly happens from time to time.

And then there are firms like CAI who put a BILLBOARD on the large flat of the left side that is just brute-strength UGLY... It can't even be polished out... like a bad tattoo it mars the gun for life.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote