LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Tony S.
User

Default How to remove old paint?

I just got a Luger that looks like if someone spray painted the gun black (just the outside of the gun). However, the paint (if it is) is well attached to the metal of the gun (no flaking). It almost looks like baked black paint. In some areas the paint shows like if it was over sprayed! Anyway, any ideas in how to remove it? I will like to see if the original finish remains under the black coat of paint. I already used acetone and some weak paint stripper with negative results. I have a screw in gasoline to see if the stuff would come off.
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Tony,

It might be dipped? If it were paint the acetone would have worked! There is a way to remove the dip, but I'll let someone else give you some tips how. I've never done it.

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Tony S.
User

Thanks. The gasoline did not work either. I will see what the experts have to say.
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Unread 11-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Tony, not an expert.... the dip has supposedl;y come off with # 0000 steel wool and WD40 (even better is to use bronze steel wool). If paint, then who knows. I have used "Gunk-off" and it takes most stains and paints off of surfaces where it should not be.

If it was me, I'd use the most benign solvents to try to take off the paint, slowly working towards a paint stripper. I would use it in a place that is less likely to show later, i.e. under grips, grips, etc.

But I can about guarantee that any paint stripper will harm the finish.

Also, depends on the type of paint, any non-petrolium paint is harder to get off than the water based paints.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Does your Luger have British proof marks? If it does, that black enamel that they use is really tough to remove. It took me 3 days with 0000 steel wool, acetone and I have forgotten what else to remove it from a Luger back in the 70's. But, on the other hand, once it was off, I had a 95% original finish lurking under there.
Unread 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tony:
Try Methyl ethyl ketone, available from Home Depot. Similar to acetone,
but stronger.

Regards

Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Tony S.
User

No British proof marks. I really donâ??t know what this stuff is, but it is tuff. Today, I did my testing on one of the screws. I used paint stripper used to removed epoxy, polyurethane, and paints; it did nothing. I even used an acetylene torch to see if the paint would flake or do something, nothing happened. I am starting to believe that this paint could be the same as that used to paint the tiles on the space shuttle!!! It is glossy too. I wonder if it could be the same paints used on barbeques. Anyway, I will continue to try. I will take a picture of one of the parts so you can see what I am talking about. It is a shame because it is a Mauser Banner 1939 E/L with matching mag. It appears that the gun was in fairly good shape before it was painted.
â??SEMPER PARATUSâ?
Unread 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

You know Tony, it might be one of those baked on enamels, or one of those gun paint black chromes, they were popular 15 years or so ago?

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Ron Smith
User

Sounds like stove black. It's fire proof, scratch proof and probably bullet proof.
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
DaveinTN
User

Tony,

Personally, I wouldn't know how to help you. However, it brings to mind a conversation I had some time ago with a newly wed couple.

I asked the new wife, "Well, what's it like being married to a PhD chemist?"

Laughing, she quickly replied, "Bill can take the stains out of anything!"

If you live near a university, I would suggest arranging for a chemist look at your pistol. Those guys love a challenge!

Good luck and have a good Thanksgiving!

Dave in TN.
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
azlaw
User

I've been tinkering with one of those Ishapore Enfields from India. I was originally parkerized, then painted with something thin and back, then painted with enamel that looked like it was applied with a mop.

I got the enamel off with paint stripper quit easily (BrakeKleen also worked, but was slower). Used Chemtool for the little parts. The thin black stuff is much tougher. I did manage to work it off a bit with BrakeKleen and a rag, but it was a lot of work. Ended up giving up as I didn't want to put in that much effort. MEK had no effect, nor did acetone. Nothing petroleum based either.

BTW - It takes some real gloves to stop of these chemicals, and I don't know what kind will work. Turns out that latex, neoprene, and nitrile all don't work. Owch.

H
azlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Tony S.
User

Well, I decided that the easiest way was to remove the coat of what ever it was completely. So, the gun is now in the white. I just found out that Thor is not taking orders. I need to find some one that can do a good refinishing job (salt blue). Any suggestions?
â??SEMPER PARATUSâ?
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
DaveinTN
User

Tony,

What means did you use to get it to the "white?" Chemical or mechanical (wire wheel?)

For a really good quality rust blue, you might contact Charles Danner Gunsmithing. Here's his website link:

http://www.dannergunsmithing.com/

Dave in TN.
DaveinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
Tony S.
User

The process was all chemical. It is all clean and ready for blueing. Thanks for the website link. I will see if he can do salt blue since this Luger's correct blue is the salt blue type.
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #15
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tony, I think Ron Wood hit the nail on the head. I've seen many lugers with British proofs that had this baked on enamel finish. I would guess that they offer this refinish for a slight additional charge, as it does appear to be the same as the military finish on some British mags & rifles. Perhaps Tac can add some info. TH