LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-15-2001, 10:11 AM   #1
Rob
User

Default magazine indentication

greetings ladies and gentleman, i have a chance to buy an exrta luger magazine ( i need a type 2) and i cannot figure out the sellers discription. any and all help would be greatly appeciated , the discription is as follows :

" milled alloy base " and just " alloy base "..what the diffence is i donnot know , please advise rob

Unread 10-15-2001, 01:30 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: magazine indentication

Rob,

The early magazine bottoms were made of wood until the mid-late twentys, then the aluminum bottom came into use. The aluminum was used from then on, but the black plastic bottoms came into use in the later part of 1941. After the plastic came into use, the aluminum and plastic bottoms were both used.

As far as "milled alloy base" and "alloy base", I don't think there is any difference in the two meanings. In my opinion, it should be just aluminum bottom. With the aluminum bottom, there are two differnt types, the angled bottom and the straight bottom. The black plastic was only used on the straight bottom magazines. Maybe someone else can add more than I have.

Marvin

Unread 10-16-2001, 02:28 AM   #3
Craig
User

Default Re: magazine indentication

Rob and Marvin,

Maybe it's "milled, alloy base" as in milled mag (fxo, 122 codes)etc.

The bases for the straight cut fxo and 122 mags are fastened to the mag body by a pin going through the button center.

The bases for the earlier angle cut mags Marvin mentioned are pinned at one end.

Craig