LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
tmoncmm
User

Default 1939 P.08 42 Code Firing When Chambering Round

Hi all,

My 42 Code 1939 is firing when chambering hollow point rounds. I have not had this happen with FMJ.

Everytime I have chambered a round of FMJ (mamby 10 times) the gun does not fire, but about half the time when chambering hollow points, the gun will fire. Anyone heard of this or know why this is happening.

My guess is that the hollow points are longer and do not chamber completly which somehow causes the firing ping to contact the primer.

The funny part it that it will fire the round when the toggle is released, but then will chamber the next round fine.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
tmoncmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Quentin
User

Wow now that's scary! I'm sure someone else with more experience will have a better answer but it sure sounds like the firing pin is a little too long or its spring is weak and lets it fly forward too far just from inertia.

After a trigger job my 45ACP went full auto and emptied the magazine, 7 seven shots in a couple seconds sure got my attention!

Hope yours is an easy fix like the 45 was. That's weird that it only happens with hollow points. Can't see how that would matter as far as the primer and firing pin are concerned.
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
policeluger
RIP

For the both of you, its a matter of correct sear/hammer, or you tmoncmm correct sear/stricker faces surface and alignment.....best to ya
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Quentin
User

You're absolutely right policeluger, a new sear fixed the 45. Hope your fix is as easy, tmoncmm!
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote