LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
toolbox007
New User

Default Help with Mystery Luger! Experts?

Hey guys!

I've a weird P08, and I'm hoping that someone here will be able to provide some information on it. I've posted this on a couple of other boards and gotten some helpful tips, but so far nobody has stepped up and said "It's this." .

Here's the pics:

Here's what I know for sure about it:

The only number on it that matches the frame is the front half of the toggle. Everything else seems to be a mis-match. The style of the only two matching numbers seems to be the same FWIW. Most of the gun is original finish, but the takedown lever is definetly refinished, and I *think* the barrel is too. It's a 9mm. There is no "Mauser Hump". Grips are awful repros, as is the mag. There are no import stamps of any kind on it. I'm guessing the barrel is not original to it, but it looks like it was installed by someone who knew what they were doing. The witness mark was struck fairly deep. The trigger plate is un-numbered, and the upper frame doesn't have any serial number either.

Here's the real mystery: There are NO proof marks of any kind on the gun, except on the barrel (see macro shots of them). The top of the chamber area was ground down to remove the original markings there. At some point a capitol "G" was stamped there, although I'm not convinced it was by the same person who ground the chamber. The removal of the markings was very nicely done, but whoever stamped the G needed 4 times to get it straight .

Any insights would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Scott
toolbox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Steinar
User

Default Re: Help with Mystery Luger! Experts?

Quote:
Originally posted by toolbox007
Here's the real mystery: There are NO proof marks of any kind on the gun, except on the barrel (see macro shots of them). The top of the chamber area was ground down to remove the original markings there. At some point a capitol "G" was stamped there, although I'm not convinced it was by the same person who ground the chamber. The removal of the markings was very nicely done, but whoever stamped the G needed 4 times to get it straight .

Any insights would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Scott
Hello Scott, don't want to proclaim myself as an expert.. I'm still learning about Lugers
But that your Luger is a mix of various parts, is quite clear! There are commercial (barrel extension, sideplate), military (barrel, toggle) and repro (grips, grip screws and possibly the magazine) parts on it.
It's a shooter, but it can be a darn good one!

As to the 'G', I guess that some guy was experimenting with the barrel extension, trying to make look like a G date, most likely moments after he found the bottom of his whiskey bottle.
Don't think it has been any proof marks on it.. are you sure that is has been ground down?

Welcome btw
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Brownie
User

You'd think he could at least have centered the "G"
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote