LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
fred p
User

Default Please help me identify this rifle

looking to the vast knowledge base here. I was given by my father last week a 22 cal. rifle that belonged to my grandfather or maybe great grandfather. the only name on it is NORIS. it has an octagonal barrel and checkered stock with a fancy trigger guard. it is a breech loader. uses .22L only. I realise this is a luger site and i am working on pictures of my luger too. will post that in the appropriate place. looks to have been refinished at some point so the checkering is hard to see in the pics. and my piture taking abilities are extreamly limited! the camera is a lot better than i am. well maybe there are pics.... and maybe not.

thanks for any info y'all may have
fred p is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
fred p
User

ok i uploaded some photos but i dont know where i uploaded them to! lol. if you find them please put em to good use!

fred
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
fred p
User

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/img_5447_copy1.jpg

http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload/img_5448_copy1.jpg

trying one last time here. sorry to waste the bandwidth.

fred
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Fred,
Adding photos to your post is a multi-step process and a lot of folks have trouble getting the hang of it. Once you have done it successfully one time you can do it super easy thereafter. You probably used the "upload photo" function at the top of the screen, but that is only part of the drill. First you must use the "Add Reply" button rather than the "Quick Reply" box. This will open up a new window to post your reply. Upload your photo and copy the URL below the uploaded photo when it appears (the "http//...etc."). Then click on the "IMG" button above the message box. This pops up another small window where you paste the URL you copied. Then click "OK" and shazam...the link to your uploaded photo appears in the message box. When you "submit reply", your photo will show up in your post. You can edit your post as many times as you need to get it right by clicking on the little pencil and paper icon on the bottom right corner of your post.

OK, I see that while I was writing this you were at least able to post the URLs. Without seeing the right side of the gun and the action open, it appears that it may be a modified Flobert system action. Lots of this type of system was made into .22 rifles by various makers and ranged from quite simple to very elaborate guns.
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
fred p
User

Talking

thanks ron. i think i finally got it. tried one over in military forum and it seems to work but all i see in the post is the url. well maybe i got it half right. not bad for a half wit eh?
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,139 Times in 1,689 Posts

Good start!!
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Ron Smith
User

Fred,

I had a Peter Longo rifle nearly identical to it. Made in Belgium and very high quality. As Ron says, there were a load of these Flobert style lifting/ tilt blocks made.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
fred p
User

It does seem to be a well built gun. the top flat on the octagon barrel has been machined with some form of scroll work i assume to prevent glare while sighting. the knob on the block to lift the action is missing and has a machine screw there so it will operate. the bore is bright and shiney and the action is tight as it probably was when new. i would not hesitate to shoot this gun but i have no ammo for it right now. the checkering looks hand done but has been sanded down somewhere in its life. it also looks to be rust blued like the old muzzel loaders were. browned not blued? its a cool piece. i have several of grandads old guns in the safe. They will be passed down one day. he just turned 90 and is as healthy as any 30 year old i know. hope he lasts another 90! keep the info coming it makes for great reading.

fred p
Unread 02-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #9
Aaron
Banned

I've seen three or four of these for sale at gun shows over the past year. They are nicely made, but the asking prices ranged from only $60 to $100.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
stefanosg
User

The guys over at rimfire central forum may be of assistance. They specialize in rimfire rifles and pistols. I found several references to a "Noris garden rifle" that seems to be of German manufacture. They also seem to predate WWII and go back as far as WWI. www.rimfirecentral.com
Unread 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
fred p
User

I will check out the rimfire site. thanks. I kinda figured it was not to valuable but thats ok. i would not think of selling it anyway.

fred p