LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
HerbZ
User

Default One Good Luger Book

There's a lot of fine information right here on this website, excellent diagrams and illustrations on how to do things too. But to access this web site one has to have a computer online to the Internet. Sometimes there's nothing like being able to have the information you want on the printed pages of a book.

Of all the Luger books available today, if a newbie wanted to start with just one good Luger book, what would be the best? Not a coffee table book, I'm not looking to impress anyone. I want a general reference book and/or manual for the Luger. I'm not looking to become an expert, just competent.
Unread 07-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Hugh
RIP

THE LUGER BOOK by John Walter
Unread 07-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Herb.!

Ummm - you can't just have "one" book..!!

Seriously - I think you will find Hugh's suggestion a pretty good one. As well - I'd offer Kenyons "Lugers at Random"...

After those, as you narrow down your interests into specific areas, I highly recommend Mr. Still's books. Any one of them - or - all of them...

A great library is a prerequisite to a great collection...

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Herb, this has been discussed before (not complaining, I just type like sh$%). I like the Luger Story as a good read, lots of good info, buy it and then those below. The following i like in order of like

Weimar Lugers by Jan Still (its what i collect)
Imperial Lugers JS
Third Reich Lugers JS
Lugers at Random, it is actually all encompassing, and very good, but I like JS's better.

The smaller, cheaper books, don't waste your money or count on them, unless you want to supplement your other luger books.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Heinz
User

Herb, be aware there is a major difference between the Luger Book and the Luger Story, both by the same author.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

good catch heinz! Heinz is right, at least in the sense, the Luger Book is a good ref but I am hesitant to recommend it to a new collector... Even though it has tons of info, it is difficult for a new collector in the sense of easily looking items up. I like the luger story...

Thanks again Heinz,

Ed
Unread 07-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
HerbZ
User

John D.,

Maybe there could be a Luger Books forum under the General Discussion Forums? A place where people could discuss and debate these books. Perhaps with some facility, some kind of standard form or input page, to submit a review of a book.

Ed,

After doing searches on amazon.com and googling around, I realized that there are all kinds of Luger books available and plenty of them. I knew when I clicked on the "New Topic" button that there had to be quite a few post here about Luger books. Finding the threads that contained them isn't that easy for someone who doesn't really know their way around here yet, let alone specifically on the best Luger books for a newbie. I tried. It may have been wishful thinking to hope that someone had publish something like a Peterson Field Guide to the Luger pistol, but I needed to start somewhere.

Maybe there's no one best Luger book to buy first, but I still think there should be. Until then, I guess I'll have to start with two or three or maybe four.

Thanks to you all!
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Usually on a topic like this, we sticky it, so it stays on the top. This is one topic that has not had that done.

If someone does a search on Lugers at Random Gibson, you are liable to find it... OR Weimar Lugers Jan Still

I have made 2 stickies that were very full of assorted book information...

Ed
Unread 07-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
HerbZ
User

Ed,

Great tip for doing a search. "Lugers at Random Gibson" brought back seven threads (not counting this one), and in them lots of other ideas of what's good reading for a Luger collector. It's beginning to look like the "Jan Still's Trilogy" might be required reading.
Unread 07-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Heinz
User

Lugers at Random is by Kenyon. Jan Still actaully has 5 books out there and I believe they are the very best. His early volume 1 is a small paperback book that is an excellent overview of WWI through the Weimar Republic. You can sometimes find these for 30 bucks or so. If not, buy what ever new ones of Jan's that are currently in print.

I am not a fan of Kenyon's books.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I was looking for more than one item, by putting in lugers at random & gibson, it increased the search to a more specific thread.

I too prefer Still over any other book, for the simple reasons it has more guns pictured of one type than any other, is up to date and has lots of good information, easy to find.

Unread 07-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #12
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I personally favor "Lugers at Random" for the new collector, looking for one book to learn about lugers. Admittedly, its information is not as upto date as Still's 3 volumes, and its proofing info is not as extentive as World of Lugers, but it does have a nice chronological approach, with photos and descriptions in the same place, so easy to use for reference, before going on to more detailed & more expensive references. I do have these books in stock, new @$65 postpaid in the USA, in addition to the other luger books, that I listed in the forsale section. TH
Unread 07-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

To a new member, $80 for one book seems expensive, but you'll be surprised how often you use it, plus, you WILL come across something at a gun show, shop or friend, liable to hesitate and miss the sale because you aren't sure if it is a fake or a true variation...

Ed
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #14
HerbZ
User

I don't thing that $80 is too much to pay for a book filled with quality color illustrations on a large, quality coated stock with a good binding. But I was thinking about something smaller, less expensive, and more portable. A first handbook, novice manual and beginners guide, maybe the size and weight that can be held open in one hand, perhaps while a sandwich or a mug of coffee was in the other, and without fear of getting a few crumbs or a drop of coffee on it.
Unread 07-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #15
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Herb,

If that is what you are looking for, and you are presented with Aaron Davis's The Luger Handbook, stay away, stay far away. It is filled with misinformation and will stand you in bad stead.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #16
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

the older books, Datigs and Jones fit the bill of smaller but are 40 years old. Jones is closer to what you are looking for, but both cost about $45-$55 each. Walters Luger Story fits the closest to size and info.

None of them fit size, accurate info and pictures and price...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 07-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #17
HerbZ
User

Dwight,

Thanks for the warning, but I'd already gathered that Mr. Davis's pot boiler wasn't even worth using as toilet paper. I'll add that Barnes & Noble, at least here in Ohio, isn't likely to have anything else in the way of a Luger book.

Edward,

So, it would seem that the choice is between getting the size or format I would like or getting up to date and accurate information. Perhaps after you publish your book on Simson Lugers you might consider such a project? Someone should, I can't be the only one who'd like to purchase something like "A Concise Guide to the Luger Pistol" or "The Portable Luger Compendium."