LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
Douglas711
User

eagles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p4140087.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	862  

Douglas711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #22
Douglas711
User

Default Breech Block

breech block
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p4140083.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	863  

Unread 04-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #23
Douglas711
User

under side of breech block there is a number 6 there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p4140082.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	864  

Unread 04-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #24
Douglas711
User

firing pin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p4140084.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	865  

Unread 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
Douglas711
User

underside of barrel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p4140087.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	866  

Unread 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #26
Douglas711
User

woops previous post was a dup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p4140086.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	867  

Unread 04-14-2006, 07:21 PM   #27
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Doug,

Thanks for the additional pictures. To some up, here is what you have:

The receiver is most likely from a commercial-range Luger numbered 50358, c/BUG proofed. The breechblock and front toggle are most likely mated to the receiver. It is not possible to determine whether it is from a 1906 Commercial or a P-08 Commercial; there are no physical ways to distinguish them and it position in the serial number range is ambiguous. (you have already noted that the rear toggle is mismatched).

The two e/6 stamps on the barrel suggest that this barrel was inspected after manufacture at Simson, and inspected again after its installation into the receiver. The strange-looking stamp on the upper right of the barrel is understandable if you turn it 90 degrees,it is the eagle recorded by Costanzo, #148, p.109. I suggest that his interpretation is in error as the e/6 inspector stamps imply that this barrel is new-maufactured; it is in the position commonly used for power-proof stamps.

The frame is from a post-1914 Luger. Chances are that it is an i suffix Alphabet Commercial, but this is speculation. The takedown lever and trigger plate are from an un-determinable source.

The firing pin is the fluted, Mauser-style, and would have been a replacement after 1934.

I don't have much to say about the magazines; however, under the circumstances, I might be tempted to take them at face value.

So, at some price, this rig of Luger, two likely matching magazines, and holster, with a frankly really neat set of unit marks, is a terrific example of the practices involved in re-arming Weimar Germany. You have already noted its overall condition.

Is this the Luger you want to pay $1,600 for?

Hope this has all been useful.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #28
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwight Gruber

Is this the Luger you want to pay $1,600 for?

Hope this has all been useful.

--Dwight
hmmm, I am unsure, but it could find a spot in my collection, for less... Maybe just not the first nicer one that Doug is looking for...

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #29
policeluger
RIP

Not sure what Ed means, Not sure if I have a nicer spots or not in my collection, but I am sure of eachs pedgree, not sure of this ones, DG...I feel you have not really captured the gun, it is several genaration of re-work with no proof what so ever that it is proper, mismatched and all that it is a period correct gun it is not, I'm sure it is not a $1600 gun, and it seems all at least kind of agree. But there is no way you can call this "a terrific example" of Weimar period correct.....or guys you can back your opinions up with $ as it is still available....I buy each gun in my collection with selling it in mind, this is not a gun your going to easily sell....
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 08:33 PM   #30
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

True PL, harder to sell. I would feel better about a gun like this for less.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #31
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,547 Times in 951 Posts

This is a very interesting luger. It has interesting markings etc. But when all the interesting parts are examined as a whole ,is this really anymore than an interesting shooter? Just a question . For the money I would be racing for the return mail. There are lots of better original lugers for the money. IMHO. Bill
Unread 04-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #32
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Interesting mix of history on the "parts" but IMNSHO... I would have to say "SHOOTER" and not worth the asking price... sorry, but I would have to ask for the money back. Better to lose the money on shipping that to lose half of this gun's value to overpricing...

This frame's serial number was definitely renumbered... you can still see the traces of the old numbers under the new numbers "A"... and the fact that the receiver extends past the frame "B" combined with the uneven and extraordinarilyy harsh line from the front of the frame flat to the curve of the trigger guard "C" (see also the original photo) are all signs of major re-work... the question remains whether or not it was an "official" rework, or just the work of Waffenfabrik USA...

just my $0.02

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #33
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Doug, my gut feeling is that it is a real rework, but like PL and others said, there will always be questions about the piece. Either get it cheaper, keeping in mind that as parts, it is worth more than a shooter, this price incldued two magazines, a tool and holster...

Just as parts, it is worth;

Shooter luger (i wouldn't go that far, but I'm easy) $600-$700
Holster $100-$150
Extra mag nice schmeisers $150
Tool $50-$80

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 04-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #34
Douglas711
User

Ed,

I am not going to go to the person I bought it from and negotiate the price. Personally I feel that to be a cheap tactic. I am not saying that in a bad way at all. What I am saying is with this being a site unseen and bad picture auction gun is the best thing is to return it.

I don't want to seem in anyway someone who buys something and gets it then says well it's not what I thought and don't want it but for a better price I might.

I will say I am very unhappy with the item. The pics that were provided were poor at best. I asked for better pics but couldn't get any. The gentleman I bought them from "has someone else post his auctions". Maybe in the future he can get someone who has a decent camera to take pics.

Hopefully everyone understands what I am saying

Kind Regards,

Doug
Unread 04-15-2006, 12:48 AM   #35
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

well, I guess I didn't mean that directly to tell him you wanted money back. I feel it is worth the money, others do not. I guess I meant to say to tell him that you are probably sending it back and tell him why. He might negotiate a different price, he probably won't. I was trying to tell you the total value of the gun. I don't think it is a shooter value, and if it was, then see above amounts, $900 min and $1080 max, thinking of it as a shooter. All depends on how you feel about it.....

I have seen that people who post lousy pictures, sometimes do it on purpose at auction...

Ed

thats all I will say
Unread 04-15-2006, 01:20 AM   #36
Douglas711
User

Ed,

I do and will apreciate your input.

I really expected it to be in alot better condition. Why can't people post decent picture's. I know my pic's aren't the best but I know they are better than the pic's I got.

Before anyone says it maybe that should have been my first clue.

Doug
Unread 04-15-2006, 01:50 AM   #37
hqbmw
User

Doug,

I am no expert, but have done well in most of my firearm transactions by sticking to one ethic: Buy the best you can get for the money you spend. This takes a great deal of time, research and searching, but the results are impressive.

I am not a rich man and I haven't worked in nearly 5 years, so I must be frugal. I most definitely agree that resell has a very strong bearing on my purchase and your gun at its purchase price gives me no "warm feeling" at all. I have purchased far better for less and you should also.

I have returned guns that were described as excellent or xx% that were 00% and have chalked it up to learning which I will continue to do as long as I am breathing. The day I stop learning turn my own gun on me. For some amusing reading of one of my learning experiences, tune to Jan Still's Gunboard and read my thread about my purchase of an Eagle/M shotgun. It will bring a smile to your face. Luckily, I had done enough price research that I am not in to the shotgun over market, I just don't have any interest in it after finding its real identity.

So you have to answer one question: Deal or No Deal. I have to vote for No Deal.

Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ
Unread 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #38
Douglas711
User

Default Jack

Jack,

I did as much research as I could without having clear pics. The seller seemed honest and it seemed like a really good deal.

I just talked to him and informed him about three numbers not matching and he seemed suprised and told me he thought he looked it over. He said no problem send it back refund minus shipping from him to me $28.

When all is said and done I will be out $60 to $70.

Doug
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #39
policeluger
RIP

Been there many times, tuition at Luger U.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #40
Douglas711
User

With better pics this wouold have all been avoided. I took the risk because I thought it was worth it.

Maybe they though it was worth it to over rate a gun and send it out and hope the person that got it didn't know any better