LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Rod WMG
User

Default Webley reloading

Now that I own the .455 and .38 chamberings I'm getting ready to start reloading these. I have dies, bullets, and cases on order and am exploring powder charge suggestions. If I can find any combo which shoots to POA I'll be happy.

I'm doing some research and measuring and finding that the .45 Colt case may work in the .455 if cut down to length. I've read that the rim diameter must be thinned, but measurements argue against that. I'm going to get my .455 cases (Mark II) in before I commit to cutting down cases, but, if so, I might be able to get a longer case than the Mk II to work. That will reduce pressure and might be of value.

Also, Huntington's has a listing for proper bullets for the old loading supposedly. Will have to try them if the freight isn't prohibitive.

Now, to locate a good hollow base bullet for the .38.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Rod WMG
User

Though there doesn't seem to be an interest in this, I'll post this once more on the subject just in case someone else can benefit.

I haven't slugged any of the three pistols for chamber mouth or bore size, but Q&D testing with bullets dropped in show that each is apparently under the nominal size listed for each caliber. A Hornady swaged .38 HP bullet was used and a Remington .45 Colt lead bullet for the .455. If true, that will probably simplify things.

It appears that a case about 1/10 of an inch longer than the .455 MkII case will work. The extremely long nosed bullet of the Hornady ammo might not work with a longer case. At any rate I'd have to cut about 4/10's of an inch from the .45 Colt case--no, thanks! The rim on the .45 Schofield is too wide. As all the cut down cyclinders prove the .45 AR is about ideal, except for the fat rim. I have 520 cases now so I'll abandon that avenue.

Uh, oh, Veronica is in trouble. Probably have to rescue her from T Rex again. A hero's work is never done.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote