LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 08-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Terry Tiell
User

Default Lost my appeal and Luger.

Well some of you may remember the BS I've been dealing with for almost a year now and it looks like I'm about out of options. I lost my latest appeal to get my grandfathers Luger back from the state of Maryland. They argued and the judge bought it that because its not registered to me or anyone else in my family that its an "illegal gun" as they labeled it and therefor can not be returned. We argued that because it had been in our family since my grandfather brought it back from the war that it is exempt from needing to be registered. They countered with that since we have no proof of when or how we came to have it that we could have gotten it from a street thug last week. My lawyer tried everything he could think of but they shot him down at every turn, I was asked to leave the courtroom when I called the detective a common fu-king thief. My lawyer told me that my outburst had no bearing on the outcome cause the judge had made up his mind already that we're not getting it back.

But even MORE fun! My wifes brand new .45 that they also impounded along with my fathers old .38 and 1891 Mauser, well they're not sure they an release them to us BECAUSE of the unregistered "illegal gun" (Luger) that was in the house! Even tho they're registered and are legal the states attorney said he has to look into it to see if we can have them back. How crazy is this? They stole my grandfathers Luger and now they're trying to take the ones that WE LEGALLY OWN!

But now that the "illegal gun" is out of the house we've gotten a few new additions that are 100% legal that my lawyer says are safe, but I'm afraid to mention what exactly due to all the crap we've been thru. But to be on the safe side none are stored where anyone but my wife and I know where they are.

In other news the wife and I are looking for a new house out of state.
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I would be seriously considering moving out of Maryland.

Unless it is impossible for anybody to move, I can think of no reason for anybody to stay in this state. And that is not just because of the gun issues.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I'm sure you're now on a Maryland state list somehow, somewhere, for having past unregistered weapons. If you're young enough to do a start over, get out of those nanny New England states and head to Texas or any state that has been consistence for individual rights. I'd meet you there but I'm too old and have moved enough in my lifetime.

Sorry for your loss.
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

What happened to you is not only unjust and unfair but also thoroughly disgusting, it would be hard to believe that we live in a society so devoid of justice except for the fact that our current political administration practices the same tactics. Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

If I were you, I'd get a transcript of the trial over to the rights attorneys at the Gun Owners of America Foundation:

https://gunowners.com/legal.htm

http://gunowners.net/cgi-bin/ttx.cgi?cmd=newticket

With the actions in California, and your case it looks like a current Justice Department Strategy is to start hunting around the edges of the complexity of firearms law to start mass confiscations. Violate something minor, get caught, become a prohibited person and lose your firearms en-mass. Be aware that once on a state list, they probably have you on Federal lists. If there was a criminal conviction involved (at any level) and it's firearms related, you could well be prohibited on the NICS system.

GOA mainly files amicus briefs (friends of the court advice on active cases). However, it would be useful if someone very familiar with Maryland firearms law could look over the case and the court procedures followed. You could also file to prevent destruction of your property pending appeals.

Marc
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Maryland's not alone. Some time ago in New Jersey, an uncle was followed out of his local outdoor shooting range by a patrol car and stopped on some trumped up moving violation.

They asked to see his trunk, which they clearly knew had firearms in it. Long story short is that they confiscated everything in the car. Uncle sued to get them back. Thugs at the police station set all his guns outdoors in their police impoundment lot during winter. Eventually, uncle was returned a pile of rust.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Terry Tiell
User

We're planning to fix up and sell our house here and move out of this horrible state! The amount of BS we've been thru for NO reason all because of this has been INSAIN to say the least. I'm out not only my grand dads Luger but probly all the rest of the stuff they took and about $5000 in lawyers fees.

I've contacted the NRA, the 2nd amendment group and smaller such organizations for help and or guidance and once I tell them I'm from Maryland they all say good luck but we can't do much to help you.

Its just a damn shame we have to leave our home and move out of a state in order to have the freedoms that I fought for in the ARMY! I just can not understand how its gotten to this point in this country and there is nothing I can do about it.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

So sorry to hear about the outcome. I would be mad as Hell!!! I do believe that you and your wife are making the correct decision to move and find a less stressful area to live. My hobbies would not allow me to live in your current state. Life is too short to be miserable continuously due to the laws of the state.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Curly1
User

Sorry to hear this, it is a shame.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
steven c
User

I had to go back and look for and read the first thread too. I did
Not see it From the start. I feel So bad for you and the out come of
It. I don't want say what I would like to here or on the net. We the people may need to stand up in numbers. To stop a police state later from happening, before we the people no longer have rights or the means to do so,,
I had to go down town once free ride! PI in front yard of my house. One of the boys in blue or black now days, has my $85 pocket knive. Funny no record of that one too. That one never made it to paper with the rest of my things I had on me.

Steve
Looking for walther PP mag #981029
steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #11
Maestro
User

It's a real shame Terry. I feel for you.
I'm just wondering, is it not possible to match finger prints on the C&R Luger to your grandfather's? or any parts of it (e.g. mag, holster, etc..).. any chance of photo of him & buddies with their trophy? I have this one for my P38.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spreewerke P38 Vet Photo.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	35512  

Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
...I'm just wondering, is it not possible to match finger prints on the C&R Luger to your grandfather's?...
No, Darius. Terry took us along with pics and exposition when he restored the rust blued finish on his grandfather's gun, before the trouble started. We all shared in this triumph, and now feel the pain and anger, right along with him.

The older I get, the less I know. Unjust, irrational outcomes like this just baffle me. WTF?!

Terry, I'm so sorry...

D.P.
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Terry Tiell
User

Thanks guys.

This was all I had left of my grand dad, my aunt raided his attic and sold off all his stuff from WWI and WWII at the local flee markets. The Luger made its way into my dads hands years prior to the raiding after my grand dad died because the take down spring broke when my grand dad and dad were shooting it in my grand dads back yard, he had 3 acres.

I'm more sad then angry now, sad to know the only thing I had left from him is gone and I can never get it back. I'm not even mad about the money I spent or the time I spent fixing it up just sad. Whats even sadder is that he and my father and I all served this country and this is how we're treated.

I may stop back by for a visit from time to time but seeing how my grand dads Luger is gone and I'm afraid to buy another till we move from this state I won't be around much for a while. Thank you to everyone who helped in my quest to get my grand dads Luger back into some kind of shape from the train wreck that my father allowed it to become. And thank you all for being such a wonderful group of supportive people and all the well wishes during this whole ordeal with the gun being stolen by the police state of Maryland.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
SteveM
User

Did the government make copies of bring back certificates?
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Did the government make copies of bring back certificates?
no, local units only

I know you've 'lost' but I'd appeal all the way up if I could.

I would write your congressmen and use the WW2 servicemens card that you can't believe that a 60 year old family heirloom has been stolen by the county.

even if it does you no good, write letters to your congresmen / congresswomen, city newspapers, counsel men , anyone to tell the world that you can't believe this is america and you are considering moving out of state.

Try some avenues that gun owners never consider - the ACLU will defend anyone's rights; question why your search and seizure rights were trampled upon?
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #16
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
no, local units only

I know you've 'lost' but I'd appeal all the way up if I could.

I would write your congressmen and use the WW2 servicemens card that you can't believe that a 60 year old family heirloom has been stolen by the county.

even if it does you no good, write letters to your congresmen / congresswomen, city newspapers, counsel men , anyone to tell the world that you can't believe this is america and you are considering moving out of state.
This.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
Aaron
Banned

There is some information missing here, or I just missed seeing it somehow. Can you please tell me how the authorities got their hands on this Luger in the first place?
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote